Sex during pregnancy

(6 Posts)
Bumbleclat Fri 07-Oct-16 20:44:18

My DH has a slightly unpredictable penis in terms of being able to maintain an erection, we have worked with this really well and have managed to have a lovely intimate relationship over the years by working out what works for us, you could say it's quite formulaic but we both enjoy it.

Since I've been pregnant (30 weeks) my dear mum has died (8weeks ago) and I have been getting bigger obviously which has meant a) at times I've been too sorrowful to want sex and b) when I have wanted it it's all gone awry because we have to now do it with him behind which is okay but not my preference really.

I'm worried that I'm losing the intimate side to my relationship with my DH and I'm desperate for us to feel close to each other during this special, yet difficult time.

Has anyone here had experience of their sex life going off the boil for a relatively long period then managing to get it all back on track later on or should I be more proactive and get this sorted now?

TIA

OP’s posts: |
NotTheFordType Fri 07-Oct-16 21:28:27

So sorry you lost your mum flowers

Have you tried other positions apart from doggy which would still feel comfortable for you but allow you to maintain the intimate feelings? EG you sitting astride him on a chair or the sofa, you on top but leaning back a bit, the sideways V? all of these would allow you to maintain eye contact which I think is really important to keep that sense of special closeness and bonding.

Bumbleclat Fri 07-Oct-16 21:40:42

Thank you.. He can't maintain erection if I'm on top sad so it's really tricky.
I might try with us both on our sides.
I agree it's so important to maintain intimacy.

OP’s posts: |
mashaandthebear Tue 11-Oct-16 13:48:03

My dh didn't want sex when I was large pregnant. So we stopped for about 3 months. We still kissed and cuddled and we're affection, just no sex, we still felt connected. Can you not feel connected without having sex?

SleepingTiger Tue 11-Oct-16 20:57:32

Scissors.

Very intimate. Was for us.

Roo1976 Fri 28-Oct-16 18:50:42

My dh refused all sex whilst I was pregnant, both times. So yes I think it's very normal for sex to not be 'as it was' during pregnancy - but it doesn't mean you're doomed or can't be intimate /close in other ways. Let's face it having a baby changes things massively so I'd say take the pressure off and go with the flow, don't feel you 'should' be having sex or that it's a disaster if you don't for a bit.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in