SAFE SEX

(10 Posts)
primulaprimulina Thu 11-Aug-16 12:28:22

OK so I've just started a series of very casual sexual relationships. I take safe sex very seriously and up to now have only engaged in intercourse using a condom. I would now like to start including oral which would obviously mean a condom on him and a dental dam on me. However I have absolutely no experience of using a dental dam. Where do I buy them and how do I use them. I am constantly hearing the sexual health clinics recommending their use but does anyone out there actually use these things? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry but you're gonna have to be quite specific about how to use them, I really have no idea. Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
60sname Thu 11-Aug-16 12:31:05

Apparently you cut condoms into squares and lay the square over your genitals before your partner goes down on you.

primulaprimulina Thu 11-Aug-16 13:03:29

60sname So how does the dam stay in place, do I hold it there, does he hold it there? and cutting up condoms doesnt sound a very safe method to me, were you being serious?

MrsEvadneCake Thu 11-Aug-16 13:20:57

http://www.sexualityandu.ca/stis-stds/howdoo_iprotectt_myselffromm_stisstds/dentall_dam

Quick Google and here you are. All you need to know.

primulaprimulina Thu 11-Aug-16 17:59:12

MrsEvadneCake Thanks that was a huge help.

HerOtherHalf Fri 12-Aug-16 14:58:49

Never used one but a quick search shows that you can buy them on Amazon so they can't be that hard to get hold of.

www.amazon.co.uk/Pasante-Strawberry-Chocolate-Blueberry-Flavour/dp/B00KI2XOD0/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1471010132&sr=8-1&keywords=dental+dam

primulaprimulina Mon 15-Aug-16 21:11:52

Would love to hear from anyone who has actually used a dental dam. The process sounds a little clumsy to me. Does anyone out there actually use them? Anyone?

Advertisement

Mrswinkler Tue 23-Aug-16 23:55:52

I practice safe sex for PIV (and PIA) but the thought of using condoms and dental dams for oral sex I find a real turn off. I have never met anyone who has used a dental dam.... Interested to hear on here if they are in widespread use.

RubbishMantra Thu 15-Sep-16 04:35:42

I used them before I entered into exclusive relationships, and we'd both been tested for STIs. Buy the largest size you can - means you don't have to worry about them slipping out of place.

A squirt of lube on the side that goes on your "intimate area" helps it to stay in place, and increases sensitivity.

No less clumsy than condoms.

Like a pp said, cutting a condom into a flat square works just as well.

RubbishMantra Thu 15-Sep-16 04:43:20

*...I began using them when I came across an article referring to genital warts in their sexual partners' mouths. At that point I decided I didn't want my fanjo turning into a pink cauliflower.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in