Talk

Advanced search

St James Senior School for Boys Twickenham

(20 Posts)
mercibien Mon 26-Apr-10 23:15:48

I know this is about to move to Ashford,Middx
Considering it for DS 10
Any one know anything about this school?
Google makes it seem a bit hmm and confused

cranbury Tue 27-Apr-10 19:20:03

why are you considering it. what are your other options? Have you read the good schools guide?

amidaiwish Tue 27-Apr-10 19:21:33

i have only heard good things, have a couple of friends whose ds's go there
good academically
good pastorally
good sport

MmeBlueberry Tue 27-Apr-10 21:27:05

I think they have an unusual ethos - spiritually speaking. Can't remember the details.

Are the senior boys taking over the old St David's property in Ashford. I had in the back of my mind that it was the junior but could well be wrong.

If you are in the Ashford area and are looking for a boys' school, there are not many choices.

mercibien Tue 27-Apr-10 21:29:46

cranbury

Haven't looked at Good schools guide [embarassed] but considering Halliford, St George's and a few local state (Rydens, Heathside- but unlikely to get into latter)
I work over Ashford way

MmeBlueberry Tue 27-Apr-10 21:32:16

Of the schools you have mentioned, St Georges is head and shoulders above the rest. The other school in the general area is Hampton.

Further up the A30 is Licensed Victuallers.

iloveasylumseekers Tue 27-Apr-10 21:35:29

The Good Schools Guide is quite interesting on this. Definitely look into the ethos. Is it anthroposophy or something like that? Lots of meditation anyway (but then they do meditation and eastern based religious studies at Wellington College in their happiness curriculum, so....).

There is certainly a gap for a boys' school in the area, but not sure this will be the one for us when the time comes.

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Wed 28-Apr-10 04:02:19

I know several boys who have gone there (old site) and they are very happy - have never heard anything negative.

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 28-Apr-10 07:57:24

Message withdrawn

amidaiwish Wed 28-Apr-10 11:27:41

they are quite into reflective time (aka meditation) and calmness, but from what i hear that does the boys a world of good and creates a lovely supportive atmosphere, certainly was quite inspiring to many parents i know who considered it this year.

my sister went to St Georges, if you are talking about the one in weybridge, it was nothing special ime.

amidaiwish Wed 28-Apr-10 11:28:28

i have just driven past it and the building is for sale.
where is the junior boys' site? i thought it was just a senior school?

iloveasylumseekers Wed 28-Apr-10 12:14:33

The school, as I understand it, was founded in the 1970s by the School of Economic Science (they're the ones who run eastern style philosophy classes that they advertise on the tube) and most/all of the current governors are members of this School. There have been many allegations that the SES is actually a cult. The ethos of the school is mentioned many times on their website, so I think most parents who do send their children there will have considered these links and what implications that might have for the type of teaching that goes on.

http://www.andypryke.com/pub/SchoolOfEconomicScienceACult
http://www.ses-forums.org/viewforu m.php?f=7
http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/world/school%20abuse%20inquiry/162790

(I have no axe to grind btw other than I live locally and have two boys who will probably be educated privately, though GOK where!)

mercibien Wed 28-Apr-10 22:52:46

ilove

thanks for those links
bit, crikey confused

iloveasylumseekers Wed 28-Apr-10 23:05:34

There's actually a MN thread from 2005 too
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/education/96201-has-anyone-heard-about-the-link-between-st-james-school

amidaiwish Thu 29-Apr-10 10:06:59

bloody hell...

roadrunning Sat 18-Dec-10 21:52:35

Channel 4 News ran a special news report on St. James Independent Schools and the School of Economic Science.

You can see it at the link below

reference.ses-forums.org/?p=18

KeithTalent Sat 18-Dec-10 22:00:04

There is a book by Clara Salaman about growing up in SES school.

It is worth a read if you are planning to send your son to St James.

roadrunning Sat 18-Dec-10 22:48:16

There is another book about the School of Economic Science and St. James Independent Schools written by two Sunday Times journalists (Peter Hounam and Andrew Hogg) entitled 'Secret Cult'.

It is available at amazon.com
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0856488372/ref=s9_simh _gw_p14_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=cente r-2&pf_rd_r=0D51SHHF2ZTZGXYD52D0&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd _p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

westendgirl Wed 22-Dec-10 20:47:47

Although I have no personal connection with this school I reiterate what I posted on the other thread where this was brought up.

I know several people with sons at St James', none of them connected. They are all very happy with the school. One family are very committed to the Church of England and I'm sure they would be alert to any competing doctrine being peddled. All the families seem to be normal people, who would be unhappy if they thought their sons were being indoctrinated with some philosophy.

I believe the issues with the school arose in the 1970s when anyway attitudes to children and education were different to today. I have have not heard of anyone having had a problem with the school in the last 20 or so years.

CaringParent111 Wed 08-Jul-15 12:51:18

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now