Talk

Advanced search

Colfe's School - anyone know it?

(24 Posts)
Caoimhe Thu 25-Mar-10 18:17:16

A friend is thinking of moving her ds to Colfe's senior school. She and her ds liked it but she doesn't know anyone with dcs there so I'm just wondering if anyone on MN has direct experience of the school?

She's looking for a smallish school with good pastoral care and reasonable academics.

All views welcome! smile

MinaTannenbaum Thu 25-Mar-10 23:34:15

Colfes will give all of that. My dcs are not there but it is one of the destination schools from our primary and it is well-liked by everyone we know whose children have been to the senior school. Three of ds' classmates are going there next year and really happy about it.

Caoimhe Fri 26-Mar-10 18:48:44

Thanks Mina - sounds good!!

MinaTannenbaum Fri 26-Mar-10 21:13:51

If we had been in the market for independent it would have been in the running. Very good pastorally.

Caoimhe Sat 27-Mar-10 08:51:25

Sounds exactly what she is looking for Mina. Pastoral care is her top priority I know! smile

FlowerPotWeed Sat 27-Mar-10 20:36:28

Caoimhe suggest that if your friend's priority is pastoral care, then she should also look at St Dunstans. We know a couple of families whose kids are there and they rave about it. We wish we could!

Caoimhe Sun 28-Mar-10 09:19:51

Thanks FlowerPotWeed - I will mention St Dunstan's to her as I haven't heard her talk about it.

blametheparents Sun 28-Mar-10 09:24:47

DH went there many moons ago, and he has turned out alright!

Caoimhe Sun 28-Mar-10 09:31:22

Oh which one, blametheparents - Colfe's or St Dunstan's?

ditavonteesed Sun 28-Mar-10 09:37:36

think that may be where dh went, can't check though as he's gone out for the day, just marking a spot to inform later. also really thick and northern but wtf is pastoral care???

blametheparents Sun 28-Mar-10 11:17:32

Colfe's

MrsWobble Mon 29-Mar-10 09:41:52

2 of my dc are already there and the third joins them in September. We like the school and I think it probably meets your friend's objectives of "good pastoral care and reasonable academics"

Caoimhe Mon 29-Mar-10 17:15:25

Thanks for posting, MrsWobble. Any negatives she should know about?

MrsWobble Tue 30-Mar-10 10:25:32

not really - my dc are happy and doing well so it's hard to think of anything to be negative about. is there anything specific your friend is concerned about?

mrsfred Tue 30-Mar-10 10:33:38

I have friends with children there. Very good sports and drama departments.

Caoimhe Tue 30-Mar-10 14:32:34

Thanks mrsfred.

MrsWobble, I think her biggest worry is bullying - I've known her ds all his life and he is a bit of a fragile soul although a real sweetheart. This is why pastoral care is her big priority.

I know you can get bullying anywhere - it is how the school deals with such things that is important!!

MrsWobble Wed 31-Mar-10 14:51:11

then based on my experience she should consider colfes. my dc1 had a "friendship issue" in year 7 - i thought she was probably being a bit over sensitive but given she was clearly upset i emailed her form tutor to ask for her advice. she telephoned me back within 2 hours and saw the three children concerned within another 2 hours and the issue was resolved within the day. the form tutor then followed up with me when we next saw her (a few weeks later) and then again at parents evening.

the aspect that most impressed me in the handling was that the teacher was completely non-judgemental - there was never any probing into who said what and what did they mean by it - it was addressed purely from the angle of dc is upset, how can we sort it out. I think this was exactly what was required - no-one had to admit to being "at fault" or "to blame" so the issue blew over very quickly.

and finally, i was never made to feel like an over anxious mother with a pfb - my concerns were taken seriously and dealt with. and this was a teacher that neither dc nor i like particularly - but i have serious respect for her professional handling of the issue.

Caoimhe Wed 31-Mar-10 15:05:11

Thanks MrsWobble - that sounds really good! It's nice to hear of a school handling these issues in a constructive way.

bouverie Wed 31-Mar-10 16:28:43

I went there for the sixth form (girls not in main school then), but 20 years ago so not much use to you I expect.

skihorse Fri 09-Apr-10 05:46:42

bouverie In which case, I'll know you by name. wink

My first boyfriend went there - alcoholic, woman-beating, arrogant shithead. He fit right in.

annielouise Thu 06-May-10 12:01:27

My friend had a terrible experience of the school. Her son was there in the nursery till 7 then she took him out. One of the teachers actually said to her I can't bare looking at him sometimes. I think he's about 4. He was youngest in class, didn't have any older brothers or sisters so was less mature in some ways than the others. She often got called back to the school about 9.30am. By 6 it was clearly not working and she was told in no uncertain terms he won't pass the exams to get in to the next stage - is that prep. Just her experience - she thought the pastoral care awful.

Summersoon Fri 07-May-10 15:45:50

If bullying is an issue, I would be careful about St. Dunstan's. I know someone who was verz badly bullied there and the school did not handle it at all well. I am sure that there is a greater or lesser degree of bullying at all schools but it is how the school handle such incidents that really matters.
I am afraid that I don't know anything about Colfe's.

ozhodge Sat 27-Nov-10 11:10:00

Sorry for the ignorance but what does Pastoral Care refer to?

LadyLapsang Sat 27-Nov-10 13:17:14

I would echo Mrs Wobble, Colfe's is very strong on pastoral care and the children and young people are brought up to be kind and supportive to each other. I have never waited more than an hour or two for a teacher to return a phone call during the school day and emails have been replied to promptly, even on a Sunday!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: