Talk

Advanced search

Values and Ethos in State (non faith) schools

(4 Posts)
zanzibarmum Wed 11-Nov-09 22:27:58

What is the ethos in DC's state schools (non faith schools). What values, if any, would you like to see fostered or eliminated?

cory Thu 12-Nov-09 09:45:50

Dd's school sent a folder out at the start of the year with their values listed and separate columns on what this entails for students, parents and staff. Can't remember where I put it or the exact wording, but they are just the kind of values I would want- hard work, a caring attitude, respectful behaviour towards others. Very carefully set out on paper, and my experience has been that this is actually what the school expects and gets from the three categories involved.

The staff have a very pleasant way of speaking to the students, they are organised in providing work, and support students very well pastorally. Students are well behaved, caring towards each other, helpful towards visitors, seem to have a generally positive attitude towards their school and the teachers, and the results are good given the intake, so they must be working hard too. Have seen less of the parents, but the ones I have met seem very positive.

All in all, looks good to me. smile

sarah293 Thu 12-Nov-09 09:50:46

Message withdrawn

zanzibarmum Thu 12-Nov-09 23:37:43

Riven - not sure that the values of private schools per se are necessarily all good:
-kick out kids who fail CE. Or don't get the top GCSE grades
-social selection at the core of the school ameilorated a little by bursaries
-some overly tolerant on drugs

OP was really about values in action is state schools typically with a mixed intake etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now