Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Work experience

(14 Posts)
exgov Mon 02-Nov-09 20:32:11

Just wondering - do all the employees of wherever y10 students go to for work experience have to have criminal record checks? Some of the students will only be 14, after all. My son wants to apply to a small local company, and I know they won't have had any checks.

duckyfuzz Mon 02-Nov-09 20:37:38

Yes they do now, it has caused chaos fro work experience organisers!

exgov Mon 02-Nov-09 20:40:09

Thanks, duckyfuzz - so who pays? The company?

duckyfuzz Mon 02-Nov-09 20:44:50

not sure, I just know our work exp coordinator was tearing her hair out with companies withdrawing placements hours before kids were due there, will try to find out though

exgov Mon 02-Nov-09 20:48:55

Thanks - I've emailed his school to ask them. The students here seem to be expected to phone companies up and arrange it all themselves - but I can see it's not going to be as easy as that! Suppose they get work in an open plan office - would all the employees need checks?

TidyBush Mon 02-Nov-09 21:03:32

My DD1 did work experience in the summer and I took on a work exp student. It was not a requirement to have CRB checks done on staff.

TBH if it becomes a legal requirement then I can't see many companies taking students on.

What a sad state of affairs - of course every company must have their own supply of peados just waiting for those unsuspecting work experience students angry

seeker Mon 02-Nov-09 21:18:00

Oh ffs!

Do you make sure that all the people who serve them in shops are CRB checked?

My dd went on a fabulous "Welcome to Work" day - she met tons of people at a big organization. It wouldn't have crossed my mind to ask for them to be CRB checked!

duckyfuzz Mon 02-Nov-09 21:21:17

generally kids are expected to phone and arrange themselves, but then someone has to coordinate all the other stuff like H&S checks, insurance etc. Its crazy. I think it was the LA that insisted on the CRB thing, so it may vary from one area to another. Personally I'd rather get a decent placement than worry about CRB checks for all those who enter the building.

exgov Mon 02-Nov-09 22:50:19

Thanks, all. Don't see how they could possibly check everyone the students might come into contact with! I was just worried in case it put the company off. Perhaps we'll be ok. Otherwise it really is madness - no one would do it.

exgov Mon 02-Nov-09 22:51:59

Seeker, you misinterpret me - I don't want the CRB checks in this case! I was just worried in case the madness had spread this far.

seeker Tue 03-Nov-09 18:55:55

Sorry, exgov - misjudged you!

exgov Wed 04-Nov-09 13:18:37

If anyone's interested - DS's school has just confirmed that CRB checks aren't usually necessary for work experience placements. Thanks all.

Kez100 Wed 04-Nov-09 16:42:46

We have pulled out of giving work experience because of the increasing requirements. We have enough bureaucracy of our own to contend with without another load simply for taking a child for two weeks.

I had brilliant work experience when I was young, and have always supported it even though it is a lot of hard work for us (we work in a confidential field so I have to produce a job and photocopy everything leaving the real names off). I am very upset about having to do this but I have finally got to the end of my tether with it.

It is a pity because we still keep in contact with four childen that have been with us and all have successfully gone on to very good careers in the trade.

wicked Wed 04-Nov-09 20:34:56

From what my sons' school said, the direct supervisors have to have CRB checks and anyone the child would be alone with.

I think the employers work things out so that the child is never alone with anyone. It's common sense really, and protects both the employee and the child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now