Talk

Advanced search

Which are the best schools in Essex?

(4 Posts)
Foxxy24seven Fri 30-Oct-09 21:48:59

We are thinking of moving to Essex - maybe around Colchester - from East London where the boys are at prep school. The original plan was for them to stay in the private sector for secondary school but I am sick of living on a shoestring and it ain't going to get any better. Anyone have any info on Colchester Royal Grammar or any other schools around? How tough is it to get a place? Oldest son is in Year 5, and pretty bright. We need to move this year. Such a big decision, any thoughts or tips welcome!

cherryblossoms Fri 30-Oct-09 22:11:59

Starter for five: Anglo-European is a good, liberal comprehensive with an interesting catchment area/entrance criteria (look it up). If you move into the catchment area, you also have a stab at the grammars.

mumzy Sat 31-Oct-09 08:02:34

The Essex grammars take probably the top 5% of the ability group. Competition is stiff as anyone can apply and being bright just isn't enough you need to be well versed in the ways of the 11+ exams which are quite archaic. Get your ds to do some test papers and see how he fares but you will need a back up plan in case he does'nt get in.

Foxxy24seven Sat 31-Oct-09 13:06:24

Thanks both. Cherryblossoms, Anglo European does look interesting, but I think not in the right place. And Mumzy, yes, I know I need to do my homework on the 11+ and have a back-up. Top 5% is certainy stiff! Which are the better comps is that fails? Having scanned them, one of the things that appealed about the areas was that the standard of schools looked generally quite good. Whereas we could go elsewhere and it would be win or lose, and I don't think I could put up with the anxiety of that for the next 5 years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now