Talk

Advanced search

Havant/waterlooville

(8 Posts)
dylansaunty Wed 28-Oct-09 17:06:07

Hi,

Can anyone tell me which are the best/good secondary schools in havant/waterlooville or north Portsmouth please.

aig Wed 28-Oct-09 23:11:26

Oaklands school is very good (and has a 6th Form) it is Catholic however so you probably need some faith credentials. Park community has extremely good added value: Purbrook Park is popular as is Horndean. I live in Havant but my children went to Bishop Luffa (Chichester) which is now not an option for Hampshire children. Bourne community (outstanding Ofsted) is also worth a look.
Where do you live?

aig Wed 28-Oct-09 23:12:28

Double Post:
Springfield (Cosham) and Swanmore (Wickam way) are also good.

dylansaunty Thu 29-Oct-09 11:43:55

I live near Purbrook park, it looks ok,,but not excellent.
We are considering moving, so wondered if it was worth trying to get into the catchment of springfiled, or any others.

Oaklands not a possibility really, we are not catholic.

SquIDGEyeyeballs Thu 29-Oct-09 11:58:20

Purbrook Park is decent, Springfield is good. Cowplain is a nice school and Horndean and Crookhorn seem OK.

Park Community is best avoided IMO.

If you can move nearer Emsworth way then Bourne is great I believe.

(My opinion is based on my experiences as the school nurse covering most of these schools - I have no clue as to the academic status of them.)

dylansaunty Thu 29-Oct-09 12:32:41

thanks, its so good to get the opinion of someone who has been into lots of schools.

Ill look into Bourne, I have to admit I haven't heard of that one.

SquIDGEyeyeballs Thu 29-Oct-09 12:49:58

Bourne is in Southborne, over towards Chichester - it's slightly complicated in that the school is geographically in Hampshire (just) but I understand it is under the control of West Sussex Education Authority.

This is the website

scaryteacher Thu 29-Oct-09 16:47:53

Park Community College has the highest value added in the UK; and has just had the best set of GCSE results they have ever had - in the 80%s A*-C. The staff are willing and committed as are the governors and a huge amount of effort has gone into turning the school around over the past 5 years. The old head had to retire due to ill health, but the new one is fab and is just as committed as Shaun was to Park.

There are links with Charterhouse for science; and mil (who is a Park governor) is always going there to see their drama productions, art exhibitions etc. She is an ex teacher and has been involved with schools for years and raves about how great Park is and the strides it has made. She heads up the curriculum committee, so she should know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now