Talk

Advanced search

GCSE ICT is crap isn't it

(44 Posts)
sarah293 Mon 12-Oct-09 09:40:22

Message withdrawn

bruffin Mon 12-Oct-09 10:25:10

DS yr9 is just started doing coursework, I am sure he isn't doing anything that simple, I am sure he said he was going to be doing html.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 12-Oct-09 10:31:10

When I did it in 1993 one part of the paper was identifying pictures and completing the sentence
e.g.
This is a (monitor/computer/mouse)

and that was 1993 so I dread to think what it's like now!

NyeEve Mon 12-Oct-09 10:36:51

it is a waste

how odd.
which one is he doing?

sarah293 Mon 12-Oct-09 10:41:01

Message withdrawn

notagrannyyet Mon 12-Oct-09 11:18:26

Ours all do BTEC in ICT now. DS 14yrs assures me it's worth 2 gcses. They all do it not an option chioce any more. DH thinks it's an almost guaranteed pass for not much effort.

stuffitllllama Mon 12-Oct-09 11:25:51

Is there a possibility of changing to computer studies?

MissAnneElk Mon 12-Oct-09 11:29:27

Yes it is crap. DD1 didn't want to take it as a gcse option in yr10 but when we went to the options evening I did suggest we pop in and visit the IT room. The teacher expressed surprise that DD didn't want to take it and said 'but if she chooses it as an option, she will already have one GCSE on the basis of work she has already done in year 9.'

See, I agree with DD. Taking a GCSE is supposed to mean your learn something not that you just pick up a qualification for attending a class.

Riven can he switch to another option at this stage? At DDs school they will often let them switch as long as it is done before half term.

Hassled Mon 12-Oct-09 11:36:51

ICT is not optional at the High School older DCs went to (and where DC3 is now). You have to do it, and it seems to be a green light to prat around for an hour or so.

NyeEve Mon 12-Oct-09 11:37:49

hmm
they do it as an after school club at our gaff too

3littlefrogs Mon 12-Oct-09 11:38:04

Yes. Dd is in year 7 and knows more than the teacher who takes them for ICT. I rather think it is a job that falls to whoever draws the short straw.

From what dd has told me, it doesn't sound as if the teacher is computer literate. It is a shame, because she had a really good ICT teacher in primary school, so this has been a real disappointment.

hanaflower Mon 12-Oct-09 11:39:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChairmumMiaow Mon 12-Oct-09 11:44:38

Yes it really is - but a lot of kids IME see it as a bit of an easy subject to sail through.

I did teacher training but quit as I knew that, as a decent computer science graduate, that however much I loved the teaching part, the curriculum was going to kill me.

I found there was resistance to making it more interesting on both sides - I wasn't allowed to teach my year 9 class HTML without frontpage, but when I tried to make it more interesting by talking about ease of finding information, and its relation to good web design principles (on a basic level) they all zoned out and fiddled with frontpage until they made their text flash or scroll (ugh)

Had I been able to teach the kids to program, I might have stuck at it despite the workload (which I made much worse by refusing to teach the prepared schemes - FGS how many year 8 kids want to do circus themed activities )

Cosette Mon 12-Oct-09 11:47:18

My DD (along with the rest of her class) was going to be doing ICT GCSE in Year 10 (a year early to get it out of the way), but they've now decided they'd rather use the timetable slots for triple science, and so have decided the class (top set only) will do Business Communications GCSE in Year 9 instead, and will not do ICT at all.

Not sure how they compare - I get the impression Business Communications is not particularly difficult, but it doesn't sound like ICT is either.

webwiz Mon 12-Oct-09 12:28:22

I really don't understand why schools don't offer the actual ICT industry qualifications in schools - CLAIT or European Computer Driving Licence. They would actually be useful and at a more appropriate level than the GCSE (I think one of the questions on DD2's short course ICT paper was "label which one of these items is a printer" hmm)

GoppingOtter Mon 12-Oct-09 12:31:57

absulutely shit

dd did NOTHING for hers ( we really loathe ict) and got an A in year 9

ridiculous

just forget it - she has to do media studies which we loathe too - again we have said 'forget it'

snorkie Mon 12-Oct-09 12:45:44

They have stopped offering it at dcs school and do computing AS instead (apparently there isn't a computing GCSE) which sounds as though it would appeal to your ds much more riven as it's programming and how computer hardware/software actually works rather than how to use office applications. I don't know if it would be possible to do the course independently?

stuffitllllama Mon 12-Oct-09 19:28:33

it sounds disastrous, mine's doing the same thing except iGCSE.. is that any different? but our school offers computer studies so maybe could change to that

roisin Mon 12-Oct-09 20:15:43

Yes, waste of tme.

Milliways Mon 12-Oct-09 20:17:52

DS's school offer the ECDL, but they have to complete it in their own time. At least it is a recognised IT qualification. They say that ICT curriculum is covered via use of IT in all other subjects.

LIZS Mon 12-Oct-09 20:21:40

I did one of the first ones in 1984 ! It was all about bits , bytes and cpu's with some basic programming - in BASIC on a BBC pc! State of the art then, sounds dull as ditchwater now.

Milliways Mon 12-Oct-09 21:12:03

LIZS: Snap! DH & I both took that exam that year, and the teacher couldn't keep ahead of DH & his mates (some of whom had games on sale in WHSmiths that they had written for the ZX spectrum!) grin

Hulababy Mon 12-Oct-09 21:17:47

It shouldn't be if taught properly.

However - you won't get programming in ICT. You need Computer Science or similar for that.

ICT is the use of application software and a bit of the hardware/software stuff. They should be looking into how the software works and then moving into more detail on spreadsheets and databases, producing websites, etc. The coursework would normally be to produce application software with full user guides, etc - such as a database with a user friendly front end, with all supporting documentation to support it inc a user guide and technical document.

I used to teach GCSE ICT, as well as GNVQ to Advanced, plus some A level Computing and ICT stuff. My students almost always achieved high grades as we worked hard in class, and outside of class, to eo ensure their technical knowledge of a full range of software was at a high level.

Unless it has changed greatly over the last 4 years, then it should be being taught at a much higher level than in the OP.

Hulababy Mon 12-Oct-09 21:19:41

Many schools do teach the ECDL - now that is a doddle to do. Used to do it at Key Stage 3.

Hulababy Mon 12-Oct-09 21:20:47

Reading this all on here though I am thinking that things really have changed since I taught it. Which is sad really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now