Talk

Advanced search

20 minute walk to school is OK isn't it?

(30 Posts)
admylin Sun 11-Oct-09 22:51:43

We have been searching for a new place nearer to the dc's school and have found somewhere which would mean a 20 minute walk. That's not too much is it?

The dc are used to being driven to school at the moment so they had a minor complaining moment at the thought of 20 minutes walking but I think it'll do them no harm. Dh thinks the nearer the better especially in winter.

DuelingFANGo Sun 11-Oct-09 22:53:25

20 minutes is about as long as it took me in secondary school, more even. Am sure it will be fine.

admylin Sun 11-Oct-09 22:55:10

Same here, I walked through a park and down a long long steet and then up a hill, took 20 minutes to half an hour but dh was driven to school so he can't imagine his dc doing it especially in winter!

BertieBotts Sun 11-Oct-09 22:56:17

20 minutes is fine, I used to have a 15 minute walk and I felt like I was very close to school.

My mum used to drop us at the bottom of the (school) street though if it was raining. But we would have coped without - we just took the lift because we knew she would grin Although I did art for GCSE and I really did need a lift when I had to carry my huge art folder into school on windy/rainy days as it wasn't very weatherproof.

LadyOfTheFlowers Sun 11-Oct-09 23:01:55

We do 20 mins each way.
On preschool days DS2, DS3 and I do it 3 times!

Kids love it and complain if DH is home and he runs them up in the car.

Kids are only 4, 3 and 9m though - older 2 ride their bikes, think that's why they love it.

Keeps me trim though - I noticed the difference over the summer hols, put half a stone on!

feedthegoat Sun 11-Oct-09 23:02:02

It takes me 10 minutes to walk to school where my ds is at nursery if I'm on my own. He manages to walk there and back (uphill) every day and he is only 3. I'm sure a 20 minute should be no problem for a teenager!

mumeeee Sun 11-Oct-09 23:13:52

20 minutes is fine for teenagers.

LauraIngallsWilder Sun 11-Oct-09 23:16:09

20 mins is hardly any time at all to be walking - of course it isnt too much

They will be fine

CarGirl Sun 11-Oct-09 23:20:32

we have a mile walk and my youngest has done it easily since she was 2! That is a leisurely 20 minute walk absolutely fine for teenagers.

sarah293 Mon 12-Oct-09 09:42:00

Message withdrawn

PCPlumIsMyHomeboy Mon 12-Oct-09 09:43:40

It's fine! Could they get a bus if it was very rainy?

LeonieBooCreepy Mon 12-Oct-09 09:48:27

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Mon 12-Oct-09 09:49:30

Message withdrawn

mimsum Mon 12-Oct-09 10:06:29

of course it's not too far - they've got functioning legs haven't they?

ds1 has a 15 minute walk to the station then a 10 minute walk to school the other end and so far his legs haven't dropped off through overuse

one of my friends has twins who've been doing a 40 minute walk to school in all weathers for the last 4 years - they're fine, and it helps keep them fit

can't you start them walking to school now, so when they get closer it'll seem like they're gaining wink

Lancelottie Mon 12-Oct-09 10:07:28

How much will they have to carry? That would be the killer for me -- my middle child sometimes struggles to get to the bus stop, never mind a longer walk, beneath the weight of textbooks, PE kit, art folder, cookery ingredients and musical instruments. he has rejected my suggestion of a nice tartan shopping trolley on wheels. Wonder why?

MaggieBehave Mon 12-Oct-09 10:07:46

I think that's fine. I'd rather that than a 2 minute walk either end with a bus ride in the middle. With legs, you know where you are. You just move them ofr 20 minutes and you're home.

Not a big deal I don't think.

Ivykaty44 Mon 12-Oct-09 10:09:44

The schools round here are 25 or 50 minutes and there are no buses or either, so legs or wheels - they all love it meeting up with their mates and chatting on the way to school smile

Why would it not be ok though - has your dh got a particular worry about this?

bruffin Mon 12-Oct-09 10:18:13

My dcs have a 30 minute walk to station, 10minutes on train then another 10-15 minute walk at other end. DS does use his bikes most days this end and it's only 10 mins but DD always walks.

purpleduck Mon 12-Oct-09 10:23:57

20 mins is fine!!!

PoisonToadstool Mon 12-Oct-09 10:25:47

20 minutes is nothing. My school was about 20 minutes but up a very steep hill, which was great when coming home as it took more like 15 minutes. Obviously there were plenty who lived closer but the majority of my friends were further away than me.

But yes, I did get the bus in the rain hmm it was only 25p!

primarymum Sun 18-Oct-09 18:01:55

My son has a 20 minute walk and it's no bother, although he often has a VERY heavy school bag as he seems to carry everything around with him. Teenagers can wander round aimlessly for hours if they want, so a 20 minute walk will hardly kill them! If they complain too much, send them by bike!

TheProvincialLady Sun 18-Oct-09 18:06:12

My DS1 walks 20 minutes to nursery, so I think your DC will survivesmile

HeSaysSheSays Sun 18-Oct-09 18:06:55

It is fine, if they are that worried bet them some good lessons on riding bikes on that particular route (your LA should give you details of their cycling proficency team who will do one to one lessons anywhere you like).

Mine do 20 minutes no trouble. My school was 45 minutes from age 7.

vvvodka Sun 18-Oct-09 18:08:53

unless they have any mobility issues, thirty minutes is fine. twenty is most definitly fine. dc have this for primaayr school and ds did it from his tenth birthday onwards on his own.

skidoodle Sun 18-Oct-09 18:09:36

20 minutes is a pretty short walk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now