Talk

Advanced search

Agghh I keep changing my mind and preference order on the secondary school CAF

(10 Posts)
sunshinecity Thu 08-Oct-09 11:58:08

Two weeks to go, I have seen all the schools but I still keep changing my mind about which order to put the schools in.
One day, I convince myself that School A would be best, two or three days later I hear something new about the school and then switch my mind to another school...and so on...and so on.

I have written out the criteria that I think are important (e.g. academic level, distance from home, like minded friends, single or co-ed) but as none of the schools are a clear winner I am finding it very difficult to finalise on an order.

Grrrr, its driving me mad - is anyone else suffering in the same way?

Peabody Thu 08-Oct-09 12:00:02

What does your child think?

sunshinecity Thu 08-Oct-09 12:07:51

He's a bit like me! Keeps switching between a couple of them, one of which is good but quite far away and I think we're unlikely to get in.
Ultimately he just wants to know where he will be going - but he wants to know NOW and not wait with uncertainty until March.

TBH we're in a bit of a secondary school blackhole, we wouldn't qualify for the very good local ones as they are church based and we are very borderline on distance for the others. That's what makes it even more difficult as none of them are clear winners. Probably should have moved house a year ago sad

sneakergirl Thu 08-Oct-09 12:47:28

I'm in exactly the same position sunshine! I make up my mind, then talk to DH and change my mind, then talk to someone at school and chnage my mind again ... DD wants to go to the local comp, which I had serious reservations about, but I've just come back from a 'working day' tour which has eased some of the worry from my mind ... TBH I wish the deadline was tomorrow so I could just do the form and forget about it! grin

sunshinecity Fri 09-Oct-09 12:02:14

hi sneakergirl - glad I'm not alone! Yesterday I wrote down some notes explaining my rationale for the current order. My plan is to review it next week and see if I still feel the same.
Its difficult to balance "rationale" with "gut feeling" however. My gut feel is against one of the comps, but all the parents are positive about it. Where are you on the instinct vs rational logic spectrum with your schools?

sneakergirl Sat 10-Oct-09 10:37:32

lol sunshine, I have spreadsheets for each school and we (me, DH and DD) did a scoring system a la strictly come dancing for each school based on 'feel', distance, results, facilities, curriculum, etc .... I think I may have become a little obsessed over this! blush

BUT the decision has been made. We have decided to go with our (me and DH) 2nd choice but DD's first choice - the up and coming (hopefully!) local friendly comp. After my working day tour of the school I felt much happier about it and the Head answered my questions and convinced me that DD will be stretched there (she is bright and I was mainly worried about the not hugely extensive curriculum). When I told DD that we could put it first she was soooo happy, jumping up and down and so relieved as well, so I feel we've made the right decision ... only time will tell!

sunshinecity Sat 10-Oct-09 12:14:13

well done on making the decision! If your DD is happy and you've been reassured by the Head then it all sounds very positive. imo a school which is on the up with a determined head is a good place to be, I have been to see one so-called "desirable" comp but found the head to be quite complacent and that put me right off.

Right, I'm off to put together my "strictly come secondary" scoring sheet grin

Duritzfan Tue 20-Oct-09 19:54:46

Lol at strictly come secondary scoresheets... I am struggling like crazy with ds's choices....

sunshinecity Wed 21-Oct-09 00:35:32

Welcome to the club. 3 days to go and I have kept the same
Preference order for the last few days - a record for me!

releasethehounds Sat 24-Oct-09 22:56:23

You are not alone - going through the same hell here. Is it just me that wakes up in the middle of the night stressing about this? I'm surprised DH hasn't put a pillow to my face by now ....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now