Talk

Advanced search

mouthguards

(8 Posts)
fircone Mon 05-Oct-09 19:01:39

ds is in year 7

he has been offered the opportunity to have a proper mouthguard fitted for games, at a cost of £15, although his teeth have not come through properly yet.

Do all the kids have these? I would gladly pay £15,000 (remortgaging house) to protect his teeth (having had my own knocked out and suffered decades of misery), but I want to know that this is the appropriate item.

Aside: once they're at secondary you can't consult the other mums at the school gate!

Furthermore ds hates games and fully intends to keep well away from any rampaging rough boys.

Goblinchild Mon 05-Oct-09 19:04:42

We got one from a sports shop that you put in hot water, it softened and then you bit down on it to get an exact fit. You could also reshape it as the mouth and teeth altered.
My DS also hates team sports with a vengeance, his footie boots get used for 6 weeks a year and by next year he's grown out of them.

Pyrocanthus Mon 05-Oct-09 19:27:27

£15 is good for a fitted one - DD's school was charging £35, or the company was. DD is likely to have a brace fitted soon, so we got a 'boil and bite' from a sports shop. Actually 2 - the first one was a nightmare to fit and we wrecked it, the second we managed to fit eventually. Come to think of it, we spent about £13 altogether, as we went for a more expensive one the second time.

I think I'd have gone for it for £15.

Cluckyagain Mon 05-Oct-09 19:31:57

You can get them from £1.50 up to £35 (from opro) I currently use either £1.50 or the £6 ones as ds is 9 and teeth are coming in(the £15 are just another step up from the £6 ones - good but depends what you want) The fully fitted ones are from Opro and they are easily £35 as the previous poster has said. The price is because they are fitted from a mouth mould and hence are said to be much more accurate and close fitting. IF my ds played decent level rugby AND had all his adult teeth AND WOULDN'T LOOSE THE BL==DY THINGS EVERY 2 WEEKS I would buy him a £35 one!!

Cluckyagain Mon 05-Oct-09 19:32:52

Sorry - just realised that opro not the only company, just very well known one!

MrsGhoulofGhostbourne Mon 05-Oct-09 19:39:19

Our school gets them from Opro (they come round and do them en masse in the summer before the rugby season) and charges £40 (presume premium is for school colours grin.
You can get the boil-to-fit ones tho' we have not had any success with these - you can also probably get your dentist to fit one.
At our school you are NOT allowed to play - at any level, or train - without one, and I am pleased they have that rule, because like you, my son's teeth are precious above rubies... [grn]

LadyMuck Mon 05-Oct-09 19:43:41

We use the opro ones. They come with 12 months insurance in the event of damage. Shockguard ones are also good and reboilable if teeth are coming in, but with opro they usually allow room for teeth that aren't yet through (dcs school need them from 7).

herbietea Mon 05-Oct-09 19:46:44

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now