Talk

Advanced search

Cambridge application - any one doing it this year (shock)

(15 Posts)
GoppingOtter Wed 30-Sep-09 21:27:57

DS has just finished his personal statement and worked really hard on it ...

Monday he checked everything and Tuesday morning school sent off the UCAS form

Today he has received a lovely 24 page document asking for yet more!

He said a few boys at school got them and there was obviously a furore

He is quite chilled and just said ' i have to do it sooo'

I was keen for this bit to be over... so stressful

Did this happen in previous years?

The form seemed to be some automated so do you think everyone gets them?

Thanks- just drained already and it has not really begun !! blush ( rubbish mum emotion!)

thepumpkineater Thu 01-Oct-09 08:49:39

Yes, that's right.

They used to have to fill in a paper (well, card actually!) form listing all their modules for AS levels and other information.

This is just replacing that form.

So don't worry, they all have to do it.

GoppingOtter Thu 01-Oct-09 19:31:22

thanks for that pumkin - he has asked at school today and it seems some people had heard of it before

it has put some boys off applying as allegedly oxford have dropped the equivalent

GrendelsMum Thu 01-Oct-09 20:08:11

Is it this?

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/apply/saq.html

If so, there's a lot of info on the web pages, including a video, on how to fill it in if you're feeling a bit daunted.

GoppingOtter Thu 01-Oct-09 20:33:18

yes it is thankyou!

Think ds should have known about it...it seems to say half the questions are optional...

thepumpkineater Thu 01-Oct-09 20:42:12

They brought it in last year, or poss the year before. Oxford doesn't have an extra questionnaire, that is true.

GoppingOtter Thu 01-Oct-09 21:08:31

why is it pumpkin do you know?

GoppingOtter Thu 01-Oct-09 21:09:17

( without stating the obvious!)

Milliways Thu 01-Oct-09 21:49:54

Yep - DD had this last year. She knew it would come (from teachers info) but a bit annoyed that had to, in effect, write another personal statement!

Is it in that form where they detail all UMS marks in each module and full GCSE details etc? I remember it being a marathon event, but she just got on with it like you DS seems to be doing

Keep a copy as they do quiz you on it all at interview.

Good luck

thepumpkineater Thu 01-Oct-09 21:51:12

Well Cambridge used to have a 'proper' application form that involved paying a fee by cheque (not v much £10 or something) and a photo and they had to fill in all their modules. Also the school had to fill in an extra reference. Oxford had a much simpler 'form'. No extra info required.

Now Oxford and Cambridge are included in the online UCAS application, no posting separate forms etc. So they get the info they otherwise got by sending an online questionnaire.

Presume the going 'online' is part of being inclusive and not excluding those who can't afford to pay the cheque, would be put off by having to fill in extra form, have to get unwilling teacher to fill in 'extra' reference etc. from schools who tell children 'it isn't for the likes of us' etc etc

GoppingOtter Thu 01-Oct-09 22:03:44

thanks pumpkin and milliways
i see
i can see the logic in it all
just the extra personal statement he could do without
interesting asking re class sizes!

Milliways Sat 03-Oct-09 22:26:08

DD started Cambridge life today. Tis a truly amazing place. I hope your DS gets in if that is what he really wants

GoppingOtter Sun 04-Oct-09 22:49:26

gulp!!

how was it?
which college is she at?

Milliways Mon 05-Oct-09 17:38:03

It was great. She is having a whale of a time (been out clubbing/whatever the first 2 nights until small hours, garden parties, brunches, socials etc - oh, and a trip to Sainsburys, the Bank and the GP - to register). grin

Her room is large, light and airy and ensuite! Lots of friends made.

She is at Murray Edwards (all girls).

senua Mon 05-Oct-09 17:56:09

That's great that she has settled in so well.
I thought of her this morning whilst listening to P.D. James on Start The Week. PDJ (a Fellow at Downing and Girton) thinks that "there should be a club for those of us who have failed the 11-plus". Perhaps Milligirl would like to organise it up for her?grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now