Talk

Advanced search

homework help global inequality

(13 Posts)
unicorn123 Sun 27-Sep-09 18:44:32

Please could somebody point me in the right direction as I've been staring at the screen for so long that my eyes hurt. I need to find a newspaper or magazine article online about global inequalities for my 15 year old son to print off for school.
I would be really grateful for any help as I have no clue as to what I'm looking at.blush
Thank you for any help.

TheFallenMadonna Sun 27-Sep-09 18:45:51

Um. Is the homework to find the article?

scrappydappydoo Sun 27-Sep-09 18:49:09

Have you tried looking on a charity website like oxfam or tearfund?? They might have links...

mmrsceptic Sun 27-Sep-09 18:51:07

the OECD produced a report on specifically on global inequality last year

Try Newsweek or The Economist or Business Week.

mmrsceptic Sun 27-Sep-09 18:58:23

this may take you further in your search

also google the UN Human Development Index -- this year's not out till October but it's annual

unicorn123 Sun 27-Sep-09 19:06:04

Thanks for all your help. I'm still staring at the screen but at least I'm looking in the right direction now.
Thank you.

TheFallenMadonna Sun 27-Sep-09 19:09:44

Why isn't your DS doing his homework? Has he been given any guidance? What subject is it?

unicorn123 Sun 27-Sep-09 19:14:22

My ds is just as thick as me when it comes to this sort of thing. The subject is humanities.

TheFallenMadonna Sun 27-Sep-09 19:16:30

Get him onto google! What exactly was he asked to find? Have they been working on any other reports or articles that could point you inthe right direction?

unicorn123 Sun 27-Sep-09 19:24:02

Thanks for the help. We now have an article that he can use from Oxfam.
Thanks again.

mmrsceptic Sun 27-Sep-09 19:27:23

Unicorn.. a good place to start is always wiki -- eg those reports are detailed on wiki and I found them through the Grauniad and Independent.

If I were you I would practise with him how to find exactly what you want on google because these kinds of assignments are all too common.

It is tremendously pointless in one way -- the reports he'll find are difficult to understand without background knowledge, and articles interpreting them are subjective, but skill at google is priceless.

BonsoirAnna Sun 27-Sep-09 19:31:07

Why don't you get a copy of this week's Economist? That is a brilliant source of articles with insights on the economic and social differences across the world.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now