Talk

Advanced search

Not happy my 13 year 's class old had recruitment presentation from armed forces today

(186 Posts)
isitmyturn Wed 23-Sep-09 18:05:27

DS1 had a talk by someone from the Navy today. My gut reation is to be horrified with visions of my PFB going off to war.
I had no idea that "careers" advice started so soon and in this form?
He's just into year 8, very academic but worried that he doesn't know what he wants to do career wise. DH and I have tried to tell him not to worry, just work hard for now and he doesn't need to make a career choice until he's older.

PeachesMcLean Wed 23-Sep-09 18:14:52

I'm not clear, is it armed forces presentations or any career presentations you object to?

isitmyturn Wed 23-Sep-09 18:37:17

Just the idea of the forces trying to recruit 13 year olds.

5Foot5 Wed 23-Sep-09 19:19:50

Well they can't actually recruit him at 13 can they?

It's just a careers presentation. Don't stress over it.

piscesmoon Wed 23-Sep-09 19:28:15

I think that they ought to have far more career advice so it seems a good idea. They are not recruiting, I can remember having a talk from all sorts of people - it didn't mean that it appealed to me.DCs do have minds of their own!

lou031205 Wed 23-Sep-09 19:31:06

Many scholarship programmes are taken up at around 16, so a child who seriously wants it needs to know early so they can prepare.

notgettinganyyounger Wed 23-Sep-09 19:32:03

seems very reasonable to me. I understand what you mean about worrying that your child might go to war if he enlists in the forces, but nopthing wrong with careers advice at that age.

Sometimes for certain jobs you will need to have particular qualifications at gcse or above, and the earlier they know what is required the earlier they can choose which qualifications to do.

spongebrainmaternitypants Wed 23-Sep-09 19:35:22

I understand your anxiety - the armed forces do tend to portray the job as amazingly exciting and glamorous which, at the moment, seems to be misleading advertising sad.

As the mum of one DS and another on the way, I watch in agony all these young men being blown to pieces and would also be deeply concerned if my boys wanted to follow suit.

Don't know what the answer is though sad.

<disclaimer, I do know women join the forces too but they do not die in the numbers that men do>

dogonpoints Wed 23-Sep-09 19:36:49

How many other organisations are in giving careers talks? That's what I'd want to know. That would affect whatI thought of it

Sidge Wed 23-Sep-09 19:39:21

A talk from someone in the Navy at the age of 13 is very unlikely to be a recruitment presentation. Do you know what the content was? I would have imagined it was more of a "day in the life of" sort of presentation.

I don't see an understanding of the Armed Forces as a bad thing (but then I am slightly biased) as I believe an understanding of the military has a place in relation to politics, world news, history etc.

deaddei Wed 23-Sep-09 20:37:34

All avenues go into schools in yr 9 - police, charities, parents who talk about their jobs-I'd be more concerned if a someone from a City bank talked to mine [hmmm]
Some schools do cadets as well.

seeker Wed 23-Sep-09 20:48:29

What upsets me is that the Armed Forces target their recruitment talks - they go for schools in areas of high unemployment and deprivation. So incredibly cynical.

<disclaimer - don't know whether this also applies to the talks to younger children or just to the real recruitment drives when they are 15/16>

piscesmoon Wed 23-Sep-09 22:26:35

It is incredibly difficult to get into the services-you make it sound as if it is a religious cult that takes anyone! It is just a talk. Many schools have cadet forces-should those be banned?

EccentricaGallumbits Wed 23-Sep-09 22:29:44

i'd agree to a talk about recruitment into forces.....

if followed by the 'Wounded' programme being shown on BBC1 tonight.

hf128219 Wed 23-Sep-09 22:34:13

Of course men (rather than women) are more likely to be killed in the Armed Forces as there are more of them serving.

Anyway 13 is a reasonable age for children to start considering their future.

colditz Wed 23-Sep-09 22:35:24

to be absolutely fair seeker, they are doing the school leavers in areas of high unemployment a favour.

The army will let you in based on an aptitude test - you don't need to pass your GCSE's.

Yes, you could get blown up - but I would actually rather risk that than sit on the dole until I retire because there's fuck all else to do because I didn;'tpass my GCSE's and parents won't support me through college.

I know a few 'boys' who joined the forces straight after leaving school, and they are all hugely, HUGELY improved by it.

hf128219 Wed 23-Sep-09 22:37:16

The people in deprived areas can also have the sheer balls to get on with army life - and war.

TrillianAstra Wed 23-Sep-09 22:39:40

"to be absolutely fair seeker, they are doing the school leavers in areas of high unemployment a favour."

I agree. My brother would have loved to be in the Army if it wasn't for his hearing difficulties.

hf128219 Wed 23-Sep-09 22:43:02

The young guys I know who have served/serve in my dh's regiment are the salt of the earth. A lot of them come from deprived backgrounds and have really made something for themselves.

Some of their siblings are on the streets/in prison.

Drusilla Wed 23-Sep-09 22:50:42

These talks may also make people realize that there is far more to a career in one of the services than being shot at in Afghanistan. Many people leave the forces highly qualified and employable in civilian life, often from backgrounds where this may have been harder to achieve off their own back. My DH is one of them.

YummyorSlummy Wed 23-Sep-09 23:05:00

I agree with Drusilla, my dh is in the RAF as an administrator and on the upside of the obviously terrible things going on in afganistan the services can open so many opportunities that you don't get in civilian life and gives you the chance to make something of yourself. My dh wishes he'd joined younger. I very much doubt there was actual 'recruitment' going on for 13 year olds and I do think that when they are old enough to decide for themselves the services is something they should be allowed to consider. You see, otherwise, this country wouldnt have any armed forces and then we'd all be in the shit!

piscesmoon Wed 23-Sep-09 23:15:57

It is another thing that DCs should be free to make up their own minds about and not have the parent forcing their own view.

seeker Wed 23-Sep-09 23:32:19

Oh, piscemoon - my world is shifting on its axis! I don't agree with you!

Ozziegirly Thu 24-Sep-09 05:15:46

I consider a career in the forces to be one of the most respected jobs that anyone can do. It is terrible when our young lads get killed, but firstly, there is more to the army than war (that could be their new tagline).

They can get excellent training in the trades, learn incredible teamwork skills, make friends for life etc.

Secondly, it is quite exciting - especially for men (some of them), who like doing things like camping, shooting, running, parachuting etc etc.

And certainly in deprived areas, the ability to have a relatively well paid, secure job, with housing and a decent pension is not something to be sniffed at.

nooka Thu 24-Sep-09 05:32:26

We had recruiters from the Forces at both the private schools I attended, so they do go for the privileged too. My good friend and I complained about discrimination (women not being allowed in the front line) and were amazed that the female recruiter didn't think it was an issue at all. At sixth form (public school with girls in the sixth form only) the SBS came for the presentation and I seem to recall we were even more annoyed because I don't think they recruited women at all.

My BIL as in the RAF and came out with some very sellable skills, which given that he also was very poorly qualified going in have made an enormous difference to his life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now