Talk

Advanced search

Can students stop English before 16?

(7 Posts)
tatt Thu 17-Sep-09 15:08:00

If children do GSCE early is the school then allowed to stop English lessons for those not intending to do A level English?

Where can I find legal requirements?

slug Thu 17-Sep-09 15:27:14

The government requires students coming into Further Education to have a Level 2 qualification in Maths, English and IT. GCSE English is a level 2 qualification. So technically, no, it shouldn't be an issue if the student gets a grade C or above.

However, if the student is in school there may be other issues to deal with. What happens to that student, for example, when they would normally be in English? How are they kept occupied and safe? Are there funding implications for the school in having one student out of class for a block of time each week? What about the (inevitable) "If they don't have to go to class then why should I?" arguments you will get from other students. It may be less disruptive for the class and the school as a whole to keep them in class.

I guess it depends on the circumstances. I would suspect that a school may be reluctant to remove a student from a timetabled class for a whole host of reasons.

Lilymaid Thu 17-Sep-09 15:52:03

The original legislation will probably be the Education Reform Act 1988. I can see that there would be a theoretical problem if pupils take GCSE English in Y9 or Y10 and then don't continue studying it in Y11, though they will have completed the course of education for KS3 by taking the GCSE. I'm sure that this position occurs quite frequently for top sets, particularly in selective schools.

tatt Thu 17-Sep-09 19:27:37

Thank you. Yes the whole class would sit the exam early so it would be more a case of how they would deal with anyone not getting at least C grade. I don't like the idea of 15 year olds not studying English.

ravenAK Thu 17-Sep-09 23:16:37

Are they doing Eng Lang early, then concentrating on Eng Lit?

We're piloting this - students who need to can re-take Eng Lang in June.

The idea is ultimately to offer AS to able students who achieve their targetted grade at November entry or possibly in June of Y10.

tatt Fri 18-Sep-09 15:59:48

No both Lang and Lit. Wouldn't nmind if they offered AS English.

risingstar Sat 19-Sep-09 08:54:07

well, i suppose if they all pass/have the option to do a retake if fail or want a higher grade, it would free up quite a lot of time for revision of other subjects in a very crowded year ( especially if they are doing lots of subjects). Sounds quite sensible to me. years ago, we did language in November and literature in June. I think that i would have liked being able to get both of them out of the way early. also, i found lit pretty heavy in having to remember things, plots themes etc so maybe might have got higher grades in other subjects if i had freed up some brain space?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now