Talk

Advanced search

Homework

(6 Posts)
Squishabelle Wed 16-Sep-09 11:29:33

Does anyone think that a freasonable amount of time should be allowed for homework to be done/handed in? DD has a particular teacher who sets homework and demands that it is in the very next day. This means that DD is now committed to dedicating every Monday evening to homework for this particular teacher. We have a regular commitment on a Monday evening and this seems so unfair.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 16-Sep-09 11:31:24

We do some every day which has to be in the next time they have that lesson (sometimes next day) - it's yr 7 so it only takes 10 minutes or so.

We've had everything from covering a book to researching a scientist you like. Not one thing has taken more than 10 minutes.

How long is yours actually taking?

Squishabelle Wed 16-Sep-09 11:35:07

Well this Monday it seemed to take at least an hour. She dosent mind doing it at all its just the timescale allowed.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 16-Sep-09 11:37:58

I don't think an hour is a problem providing there is no other homework that has to be completed that evening.

I can appreciate it could be more of a problem if they have after-school clubs.

roisin Wed 16-Sep-09 20:46:30

I think this is unusual, but I don't think it is a problem. If she knows she has this routinely, then she can plan accordingly.

Maybe she could make a start on it during the lunchbreak or during form time?

What year is she in? Check the school homework policy as to how long she should be spending on the homework.

vinblanc Thu 17-Sep-09 18:05:39

My DD's is in Year 8 and she gets 1h20 of homework each night. Last year it was 1h. They are expected to do it the night it is set, which is why there is a homework timetable. Some of her teachers would ask for it to be handed in the next day even if they didn't have a lesson, so that it could be marked and handed back by the next lesson.

It doesn't matter if they have other commitments, as far as the school is concerned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now