Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else think they should have homework clubs after school?

(39 Posts)
LaurieFairyCake Wed 09-Sep-09 17:20:08

Cos I am going nuts doing this 5 days in hmm

She has had homework every day. Small tasks but they're trying to get them used to it. She is very resistant and it's doing nothing for our relationship.

DH was supposed to be doing this part of life (teacher) but he gets home too late to do it.

I am just getting more and more irritated.

I WANNA HOMEWORK CLUB!!!!!!!!!!

GreensleevesFlouncedLikeAKnob Wed 09-Sep-09 17:22:30

I'm not a huge fan of lots of homework anyway

but I think a homeowrk club is an awful idea

they need to go home, get a break and a change of scene and something to eat

homework club after school would be relentless

Mistymoo Wed 09-Sep-09 17:22:45

There is one at my kids school but I think it's more for the children who wouldn't get any help at home.

Mistymoo Wed 09-Sep-09 17:23:48

Just realised that this is secondary, my kids are in primary.

southeastastra Wed 09-Sep-09 17:23:58

ours does, don't think anyone rushes to use it

GreensleevesFlouncedLikeAKnob Wed 09-Sep-09 17:26:46

Could you just let her get into trouble at school for not doing it?

GrungeBlobPrimpants Wed 09-Sep-09 17:31:23

Some secondaries round here do it, some don't. Local private school has one but calls it 'prep'

My dd's doesn't, but they can use the library at lunchtime and after school to do it if they wish.

Would be useful to have one as stuff could get done - at the moment dd is simulaneously listing to 'That's What I Call Utter Crap Music 1001', facebooking and doing her maths homework. Am about to go into study and nag hmm

LaurieFairyCake Wed 09-Sep-09 17:34:37

lol at Greeny grin

I can't just not let her do it, it's my job to support her in doing it. I just feckin' hate it.

I am definitely enjoying this 'parenting' thing less this year. She has gone from cute to stroppy in a week.

GypsyMoth Wed 09-Sep-09 17:37:19

if ds age 11 stayed at sch for homework club,then i'd have to drive 7 miles to collect him afterwards,so no.

however dd ages 13 and 15 just stay in school and do extra,then walk home afterwards. easy.

GreensleevesFlouncedLikeAKnob Wed 09-Sep-09 17:38:03

I know it's your job to support her in doing it, but if it's having to be coercion rather than support because she won't do it - well it's her job as she gets older to take responsibility for her own actions too

I just thought if she got into trouble once (could mention her attitude to teacher and make sure she gets a rocket for not doing it) it might spur her on a bit

but I don't have an 11yo grin

Othersideofthechannel Wed 09-Sep-09 17:51:45

I've already let my 6 yr old decide not to do his homework. He wasn't too tired that night, just not interested. I couldn't see the point of the task so I didn't really have any arguments to persuade him. I put a note on his book saying he didn't want to do it and asking the teacher to explain why it was important. She did and it really helped.

danthe4th Wed 09-Sep-09 18:04:36

Tell her to get on with it and if she doesn't she has to live with the consequences. This is high school and part of it is learning to be independant and to take responsibility for her actions.

Pyrocanthus Thu 10-Sep-09 12:44:28

I'm with Greensleeves, I do have and 11 year-old, and though she hasn't had any homework yet, I would do everything I could to help her get organized, support her and comfort her if it's hard - but then it's up to her.

She used to produce very sloppy homework in primary school and it would annoy me that the teachers didn't pick her up on it (I'd have been happy for her not to have any, but felt that if she had to do it she should be expected to do it properly), but at the start of year 6 the teacher made his expectations very clear, and she didn't 'arf smarten her ideas up.

cat64 Thu 10-Sep-09 12:53:13

Message withdrawn

SlartyBartFast Thu 10-Sep-09 13:00:35

presumabley she is in year 7, from what i remember from last year, they get piddly bits of homework for the first little while.

oh, just realised don;t know op's dd's age.

i think a home work club would be good, but i dont think dc's would like it. mine have after school clubs, badminton, drama etc., i presume they can stay in the library if they want but i dont think op's dd is going to want to?

don't sweat the issue op. if she is anythign like my dd she will get detention and then learn to buckle down, if not, - i dont know

cory Thu 10-Sep-09 15:21:25

agree with everybody else- let her get into trouble

katiestar Thu 10-Sep-09 23:14:59

Why are you getting involved.you need to let her take rsponsibility or take the consequences !

Goblinchild Thu 10-Sep-09 23:42:01

Would you be prepared to pay for a homework club?

cjo1 Sun 18-Oct-09 15:21:10

LaurieFairyCake

At the end of the school day I have marking, planning, resources to make, parents to call, parents to email, detentions to run, parent meetings, parent evenings, twilight meetings, department meetings, whole school meetings, open evenings, coursework evenings, coursework catch up sessions, history clubs to run, sports clubs to assist with, reports to write, assessment data to analyse and a few minutes to find to reassure my partner that i do remember he exists.

I will set the homework, make sure my pupils understand it and mark it. Please please don't expect me to stand over them when they do it as well.

and to all those who suggested letting them have detentions- why should i lose my free time because you think it is easier than motivating your own child yourself?

FlamingoBingo Sun 18-Oct-09 15:22:57

Why don't you send her to boarding school?

Blimey! When do children get a minute off?

TheFallenMadonna Sun 18-Oct-09 15:24:49

I think the suggestion about detentions was more about getting the children to learn the consequences of their actions rather than to get the teachers to stand over them TBH.

TheFallenMadonna Sun 18-Oct-09 15:26:30

Or inactions even.

I don't expect parents to stand over my students while they do their homework. I do expect the students to do it, and take the consequences if they don't. I do tell parents if they don;t do homework though, because the more vociferous want to know.

Paolosgirl Sun 18-Oct-09 15:40:23

I would LOVE a homework club, and would be prepared to pay for one. The DCs on the other hand would rather eat their own toenail clippings than go to one. DC1 is now at High School, and showing a distinct lack of interest in doing anything more than the bare minimum - is it a boy thing? Last week he forgot (apparently I didn't remind him hmm) to get me to sign his homework diary, so he had to stay in at break. I'm afraid I've now decided to take the "hell mend him" approach - if he doesn't do his homework then he takes the consequences both from the school and us. I'm sure he'll learn in time, as detentions and no breaks are the common punishments at his school.

Not a great fan of homework either, but thems the rules so we stick to them, and expect the kids to as well. No homework = no after school clubs/telly/etc.

Heated Sun 18-Oct-09 15:46:51

Yes, I do.

I would like prep offered to all year 5 and above. It would mean staying after school for a time appropriate to their age to complete work that tested something you learnt that day e.g. 20mins-30mins at primary and up to 70 mins for secondary. Then no h/w except for one or maybe two pieces at the weekend e.g. research, learning spellings etc until GCSE stage.

Morosky Sun 18-Oct-09 15:55:24

Lots of schools do have a homework club, I used to run one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now