Talk

Advanced search

Secondary School Admissions Appeal - What Evidence Do I Submit?

(5 Posts)
loveandlight Sat 29-Aug-09 12:47:40

I am working on a secondary school appeal that has to be in by Monday.

I know I have to submit any medical evidence with my appeal but do I also need to submit the school prosepct, school policies etc if I am quoting extracts from them or referring to them?

Thanks.

moodyblue Sat 29-Aug-09 19:21:48

Hi We went through a secondary school appeal recently and were successful. We quoted from the prospectus, website and ofsted reports of both the school we were appealing for, and the school we had been offered, but did not submit them with our written statement. We did submit medical evidence and a reference from our head teacher. On the day of the appeal hearing I took a copy of the prospectus as well as a print out of the ofsted reports but we didn't need them. They did however ask us what research we had done beyond reading the reports etc for example, they asked if we had contacted the school and asked further questions. Hope this is helpful.

loveandlight Thu 03-Sep-09 16:10:28

Thank you moodyblue that was helpful. I am also very pleased you won your appeal. It makes me so angy when you repeatedly get told an appeal is informal because it most definitely is not. There are lots of do's an don'ts and as a parent you are so anxious to make sure you don't put a foot wrong in case it upsets the appeal panel that it really feels like it isn't about your child at all but about pleasing everybody else who are involved in the appeal process.

My appeal hearing is next week. If I had the money i would definitely pay for someone else to handle it for me.

Mumwhensdinneready Thu 03-Sep-09 18:27:41

I sit on admissions appeals. Please don't be intimidated by the process as all the panel members I have come across want to do their best for the appellants, although it's not always possible.
The panel can only consider the school you have applied for. They can't make a decision on the school you have been offered.
They are not there to consider the suitability (or not),of the school you have been offered so it's best not to focus on why you don't want the school on offer.
Many, many appeals focus on the parents domestic arrangements rather than the need for the best school for the child.
It's very important that you have visited the schools.
You may find that you are one of many parents all appealing for the same school. In this case the panel will hear all the appeals before making a decision.
It may help to write down a list of points you want to make.Try to stay calm , it's a very important issue and many parents become emotional, don't worry , the panel will do their best to help you.

loveandlight Fri 04-Sep-09 14:11:58

That was very helpful Mumwhensdinnerready and thanks for taking the time to reply.

I haven't been offered a school at all but I have included in my appeal grounds why the only school that I know is available would be unsuitable for my DS as I want to show the appeal panel that I have put a lot of thought into it and done a lot of research. I have also included a whole list of reasons as to why he must go to the preferred school of choice. I'll be so glad when its all over as its been hanging over us for the past two months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now