Talk

Advanced search

DC1 starts High School tomorrow <weep> - any tips/advice/dos/don&#39;ts for him?

(10 Posts)
Paolosgirl Mon 17-Aug-09 21:17:47

Anything to help him avoid social suicide especially welcome, but any words of wisdom you can offer my darling boy who is far far far too young to be a High School pupil will be very gratefully received smile

MrsMuddle Mon 17-Aug-09 22:31:26

He'll love it. Mine started S3 and S2 today, and it seems like yesterday they were in P1.

Words of wisdom - all first years will spend the first month getting lost. There will be loads of people who don't know anyone. Stories of heads being flushed down toilets etc are greatly exaggerated. Most people will be nice and helpful.

Social suicide - it's apparently preferable to freeze to death rather than wear a jacket. Even if he takes a packed lunch, give him money for the "vendies".

Annoying fact - there is a trend for older boys to run past the S1 and S2 kids and rip the pocket off their shirt.

Good advice - GET IN THE LOCKER QUEUE QUICKLY!

Hope he has a fab day tomorrow.

bruffin Mon 17-Aug-09 22:57:45

Good luck, DD starts on 3rd. DS started 2 years ago. Ds wears his jacket, he doesn't like the coldgrin In Dc's school boys do not wear the school jumper, just the girls. DS's still has the label on hanging in the wardrobe.

Just make sure he's got the right books on the right day and all his pens and pencils etc

One of the biggest problems in year 7 seems to be friends. Some children move and leave old friends behind. Others get a bit of a shock when they realise they are no longer the big fish in the little pond, but a tidler in a huge sea and sometimes need to redress the balance by picking on other little tidlers.

Stayingsunnygirl Mon 17-Aug-09 22:58:27

All excellent advice, MrsMuddle.

Ds3 (my youngest, my baby) starts S1 tomorrow, so I am feeling a little blue. I did suggest that he might like to cycle in with one of his brothers - ohhh foolish woman that I am. That, apparently would be social suicide.

One thing I would suggest - take a picture of him before he goes out tomorrow morning - he will never look that pristine and smart again.

Paolosgirl Tue 18-Aug-09 12:46:06

Thanks for all the advice here - I went to bed at 10.30 last night (didn't sleep for the worry, of course!) and missed your posts.

I waved him off with a tear in my eye, and have spent the day with my mobile phone on my desk willing him to text (as if he would even think about texting his mother!), and worrying about how he'll cope and who he'll come up against.

Took the photo this morning, his jacket is scrunched up in his bag and he's got trainers on his feet for the first time in his school life.

Gulp.

magentadreamer Tue 18-Aug-09 17:36:43

How did his first day go?

BadgersArse Tue 18-Aug-09 17:44:57

he had no trainers?! why?

Goblinchild Tue 18-Aug-09 17:49:16

My gran used to say that God gave you two ears and one mouth so you could listen twice as much as you talk.
Observe what the others do before rushing in on something, then you won't be the most memorable of the mistake-makers.

katiestar Tue 18-Aug-09 19:12:42

Encourage him to do his homework as soon as it is set otherwise it will mount up.

Shocked at school having vending machines - do you mean selling choc bars & crisps -surely not ?

Paolosgirl Wed 19-Aug-09 13:34:35

His first day went really well! His classmates seem really nice - a mixed bunch as you would expect from a scottish comprehensive, but no trouble makers. Teachers all good and in control, and a lovely welcome from the Head reminding them of exactly what is expected of them. He met up with his primary school friends at break and lunch, and is happy to go back today.

No trainers til now - firm believer in proper school shoes for primary kids grin

No vending machines at his school, he's sorry to report!

Thanks for all the advice here - it's all been taken on board smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now