Talk

Advanced search

Which would you choose? Lifestyle choice

(13 Posts)
BottySpottom Wed 12-Aug-09 21:33:21

Option 1:

Private education for your children which would leave you really short of cash (one holiday in cottage in UK a year, no real money for entertainment, fun etc). Told by parents there will be plenty of cash 'another day' but they don't like living with that in mind.

Option 2:

Throw caution to the wind and have another child that will leave enough money only for state education (average schools), but plenty of money for fun, house, investment etc.

Children concerned are bright. One is quite quiet and easily intimidated (not sure if this is relevant). This is something one of my best friends is pondering at the moment and not sure how to advise.

piscesmoon Wed 12-Aug-09 21:45:03

I would have option 2. Life isn't much fun if you don't have the extras and the DCs they would be mixing with would, on the whole, be having the extras. Mine have done extremely well in the state system and been able to do the extras offered by the school, trips to Russia, French exchange, adventure activities in Wales, skiing in Canada. There are good state schools-many are better than private schools!

piscesmoon Wed 12-Aug-09 21:45:38

I would have option 2. Life isn't much fun if you don't have the extras and the DCs they would be mixing with would, on the whole, be having the extras. Mine have done extremely well in the state system and been able to do the extras offered by the school, trips to Russia, French exchange, adventure activities in Wales, skiing in Canada. There are good state schools-many are better than private schools!

Quattrocento Wed 12-Aug-09 21:47:23

Option 1 is a total nightmare for the parents living in this situation and having to eke out every penny while school fees just go up and up.

Go for option 2, with or without the extra child.

poopscoop Wed 12-Aug-09 21:47:32

option 2 - they could spend all their money on the dc education and the dc could throw it all away.

Or they could do really well in the state schools.

Def option 2.

flatcapandpearls Wed 12-Aug-09 21:54:43

option 2

BottySpottom Wed 12-Aug-09 22:25:06

Thanks all, will report back.

nicefleece Wed 12-Aug-09 22:35:23

Cripes! Am living option 1 without private school.

flatcapandpearls Wed 12-Aug-09 22:40:44

grin nicefleece , OP did say what we would choose rather than what we have!

deaddei Thu 13-Aug-09 12:47:00

Option 2 without a doubt! I'd go mad with the prospect of no fun for the next 10 years!!!

SlartyBartFast Thu 13-Aug-09 12:54:53

if you chose option 1 and your amazing intelligent offspring drops out you will be doubly gutted.
enjoy life

BottySpottom Thu 13-Aug-09 19:43:35

Not my offspring Slarty -

Metella Thu 13-Aug-09 19:46:06

Option 2 anytime!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now