Talk

Advanced search

school action, help, advice please

(9 Posts)
twinklytoes Mon 27-Jul-09 21:03:39

friends stepds has just been placed on school action for all major subjects. letter arrived out of the blue today, no verbal communication, nothing. letter was even dated after school was out!

up until now progress has been described as just below and they have focused heavily on his behaviour (rather negatively) rather than looking at underlying issues.

he's going into yr11 and want to know what I can do to support friend, help her find info etc etc as there's no-one in school now till 1st sept - she has tried, answerphone message left but doesn't expect a reply.

hercules1 Mon 27-Jul-09 21:05:00

What are the underlying issues?

Wonderstuff Mon 27-Jul-09 21:07:20

What is the identified need? SA basically means that he is getting some extra help from the school for a recognised need.

wannaBe Mon 27-Jul-09 21:07:46

is it possible that the issues have been discussed with the child's mother but that this hasn't been communicated to your friend/the boy's father?

twinklytoes Mon 27-Jul-09 21:12:07

hercules - thats me, been thinking for a while that he was struggling with learning and couldn't voice issues, so disruptive in class. english is 2nd language, arrived in uk in yr5.

no identified needs in letter. was a three sentence letter - basically not achieving in english, maths and science and is now on school action. then some spiel about how they would judge whether to escalate to school action plus or remove from sen register (but nothing about how they would do this). this is why we need to know what friend should be asking for, can do now.

twinklytoes Mon 27-Jul-09 21:14:30

school have made no contact with either parent this term, other than in regards to detentions. friend has had all letters authorised to be sent straight home via snail mail since 2007 as ds was forgetting them, throwing away.

msr Mon 27-Jul-09 22:34:05

i appreciate it is bad timing getting a letter when school has finished. School action is really more for the school so the student is flagged up maybe for additional support leading up to GCSEs also it affects the schools figures if school action and school action plus kids do well in exams. I don't think you need to worry - make an appointment to go in ,in September

twinklytoes Mon 27-Jul-09 23:37:11

thanks msr. I wondered if it was something to do with the stats. would it be a way of making the stats better though if they are on school action now, going into gcse year rather than plodding along as they have done for the last four years? (only ask as this is a failing school that has become one of these academies in the last two years?)

Wonderstuff Tue 28-Jul-09 17:57:14

The parents should get an appt with the SENCO in Sept. Unfortunatly with SEN the parents who shout loudest get most help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now