Talk

Advanced search

Secondary Grades - End of term report Y7

(7 Posts)
Hatlady Mon 20-Jul-09 16:57:17

I have just received my child's end of term (Secondary school Y7) report. Included is a table which shows Nat. Curr. levels from 3 to 8 on the left and on the right it shows what grades these would equate to at GCSE. For example a 6a equates to a 'projected' B grade at GCSE. Does this mean if my child took his GCSE now that is the grade he'd get or does it mean he's likely to get that grade if he is still performing at the current level in X-year's time? That would be good news as it gives scope to go higher by the time the GCSEs come along. Does anyone know the average expected grade at end of Y7?

FlorenceDaphne Mon 20-Jul-09 23:32:31

How long is a piece of string?
Normal- ie, nothing to worry about, is anything from 4.2 upwards.

Anything under level 4, I would be a bit concerned about. Mind you, I teach in a very deprived school with shockingly low attainment, so maybe I've got a skewed viewpoint.
And level 6 at th ened of Year Seven means he SHOULD get a B at the end of Year Eleven. If all goes well. And he does his homework now and then.

cat64 Mon 20-Jul-09 23:49:43

Message withdrawn

snorkle Tue 21-Jul-09 10:52:09

I would have thought that a 6a at the end of year 7 was rather higher than 'B' at GCSE, given that over 20% get A* or A at GCSE. (Given the flack some people have got on another thread for suggesting 6c at the end of year 7 isn't exceptional and 6a is about a year higher than 6c)

Are you sure that 'B' isn't the expected grade for someone achieving a 6a at the end of KS3?

snorkle Tue 21-Jul-09 10:56:49

I should clarify: A 6a at the end of year 7 should result in a very top grade GCSE in year 11 I would think - whereas a 6a at the end of year 9 might be about right for predicting a grade 'B' at year 11.

All assuming normal progress etc - obviously some children might do a bit better & some worse.

kritur Tue 21-Jul-09 15:49:54

We generally work on L6 at the end of KS3 (ie, Y9) would mean a pretty safe B candidate at GCSE. This does not mean that if the child took the GCSE now they'd get a B. At the end of Y7 level 5 ish is about average. Don't worry if they were a level 5 in primary, despite what they say a L5 in primary is different to a L5 in secondary as there is more content in secondary.

MrsBartlet Tue 21-Jul-09 16:18:18

Thanks for clarifying that snorkle. Dd has just finished Y7 with a 6a in English and a target of level 8 for the end of y9. Her English teacher thinks she is a bit of a star so I would like to think she was aiming for more than a B at GCSE!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now