Talk

Advanced search

Do you have to pay for a locker at your secondary school?

(28 Posts)
roisin Tue 14-Jul-09 21:09:03

At my secondary they have to pay a returnable deposit - about £3 I think for the lock/keys for their locker. Then they have to pay £1 'rent' per year. ie yr7s pay £8 to have a locker for 5 years, and get £3 deposit back at the end.

At ds1's school they have to pay £5 per year! shock

magentadreamer Tue 14-Jul-09 21:12:23

DD had to take £1 in on her first day of yr7 for her key not too sure if she'll keep the same locker next year or will need another £1 come September.

PestoMonstre Tue 14-Jul-09 21:13:18

We had to pay 5 years' rental in advance, a total of £25.

fembear Wed 15-Jul-09 08:26:14

Locker? What's a locker?
Our Headteacher refuses to have them so the kids have to wander around with all their possessions in their bag all day long.angry I would gladly pay for one.

PestoBlusteryMonster Wed 15-Jul-09 08:27:41

Maybe you should campaign for some Fembear? PTA could raise some funds perhaps towards this.

courtneylovescox Wed 15-Jul-09 08:27:59

same as fembear. ds(15) goes to school with more weight on his back than a paratrooper.

jellybeans Wed 15-Jul-09 08:28:59

Ours are £30 for the 5 years.

scienceteacher Wed 15-Jul-09 08:29:43

No, lockers are compulsory.

random Wed 15-Jul-09 08:34:13

I would have gladly paid for one ...same reasons as fembear

bruffin Wed 15-Jul-09 08:35:52

£60 for 5 years, but I think some of that is a deposit.

fembear Wed 15-Jul-09 08:36:27

No Pesto, he objects on principle because of the likelihood of vandalism.hmm

southeastastra Wed 15-Jul-09 08:40:47

builds up their muscles random grin

Wilts Wed 15-Jul-09 08:42:16

We had to pay £30 upfront for the whole five years.

ABetaDad Wed 15-Jul-09 08:52:39

I don't think I understand this thread.

Surely lockers are part of the fabrioc, fixtures and fitings of the school like desks and chairs. Why are schools asking parents to pay?

OK a small deposit for a key but I just think £60 is a lot of money for a person on low income.

TrillianoftheShineyCult Wed 15-Jul-09 09:01:08

Didn't have lockers.

Think it's mad to charge for them. A deposit based on looking after keys, not leaving locker full of mouldy fruit when you leave, yes. But why should they have to pay?

scienceteacher Wed 15-Jul-09 09:15:52

You knnow, if VAT were to be put on school fees, all these locker charges would be subject to VAT.

PestoBlusteryMonster Wed 15-Jul-09 11:01:15

ABetaDad, I think our school charges rental of the lockers because there aren't enough to go round. Charging a fee whittles down the number of taker-uppers.

ABetaDad Wed 15-Jul-09 11:46:06

sciencetreacher - you are being very naughty. grin

Pesto - surely every child needs a locker. This sounds like lockers are luxury goods. No one wants to be the 'lockerless child' in a class. Sounds mad.

notagrannyyet Wed 15-Jul-09 12:07:41

Mine have always had to pay £2 per year deposit for the locker key.

Don't recall ever getting the deposits back.

scienceteacher Wed 15-Jul-09 12:15:12

I suspect if a kid gets £2 back, they are going to go to the nearest sweetie shop with it. You will long have forgotten that it was a deposit and not a charge.

At my school, the lockers have combination locks. At my sons' school, they provide their own padlocks (giving the form tutor the spare key).

bruffin Wed 15-Jul-09 13:53:24

I think a lot of the time they don't use them much anyway. Schools are big places and they don't get time to go back to their lockers to get things in between lessons. DS only really uses his for his pe stuff or if he has extra stuff to carry round ie going out straight from school.

Fimbo Wed 15-Jul-09 13:56:43

I have just written a cheque for £45 to cover the 5 years dd will be there. I think part of it is a deposit though. Yr7's get priority. We also need to pay for a replacement key if dd loses the one she gets.

GetOrfMoiCockroachCluster Wed 15-Jul-09 13:57:09

DD has to pay £2 a year for the locker key. She had to pay for the use of the locker for 5 years at the beginning of Year 7 (it was a fiver or tenner, can't remember, I seemed to bleed money that first week at senior school).

I dread to think what is in that locker. Do the janitors open them in the summer holidays? Because if not there will probably be a collection of 5 year old oranges when she is in Year 11).

OrmIrian Wed 15-Jul-09 13:59:45

Yes. DS doesn't have one, not because of the cost bur because there aren't enough. Anyway they are tiny so not really worth the bother.

BertieBotts Wed 15-Jul-09 14:00:47

We never had lockers at my Secondary school. It was campaigned again and again but I think they still don't have them angry

There was a deposit and charge at another school locally, it was quite high I think, my sister's friends who went there clubbed together and paid for one to share.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now