Talk

Advanced search

Anyone a TA in a secondary school ??

(7 Posts)
NervousNutty Mon 06-Jul-09 22:12:41

I know lots of primary TA's but no secondary ones.

Basically one of dd2's friends mums works in the office of a secondary school and has said that she is 99.9% ure that she can get me an interview for the job of teaching assistant.

Now, being a TA in a primary school I would jump at, but secondary sounds rather scary, I mean thats teenagers isn't it lol.

From what I can gather, the role is to help specific students who require a bit of extra help. Not sure yet wether it would be subject based or wether I would be working with particular students throughout the whole curriculum.

She is going to find out more for me tommorow and then I have to let her know if I am interested or not. I have already told her that if it is Maths based then I will have to say no as I couldn't help anyone with secondary maths if my life depended on it.

So, any opinions, experiences most welcome, even if they are to tell me to run for my life wink

Oh I am going for a quick dip so won't reply straight away.

FiveGoMadInDorset Mon 06-Jul-09 22:17:23

Yes I was and it can be a bit scary, I was in bottom sets most of the time but I built up a really good relationship with pupils and teachers. Just pay attention in Maths and you will be brilliant.

NervousNutty Mon 06-Jul-09 22:35:37

Thanks, thats really helpful.

I am not the most confident of people and I do worry that the pupils might walk all over me, but I suppose i'd soon get used to how to treat them to get the job done.

FiveGoMadInDorset Mon 06-Jul-09 22:36:52

I was like that but they were really great, it also did my confidence the world of good. I really enjoyed it and only left beacuse I had the opportunity to run my own business.

NervousNutty Mon 06-Jul-09 22:49:47

Sounds like exactly what I need then.

Hopefully I can find out more tommorow and give her the go ahead to get me an interview.

MaureenMLove Mon 06-Jul-09 23:39:57

In my school, it's often the TA's in the classroom, that hold the lesson together! grin

We have very challenging students at our school and the TA's tend to stick with a particular student or class. A lot of them need stability and routine, so it works well. They really bond with the students and can often get much more out of them, that the teacher.

Good luck. Don't be scared of the big kids, they are generally pussy cats really! grin

roisin Sat 11-Jul-09 19:15:35

Have you applied for it Nutty?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now