Talk

Advanced search

views please on snacks in suitcases for children on residential trips...

(23 Posts)
discoball Fri 03-Jul-09 17:33:47

Hi, am fretting about whether or not to put in some snacks for my DS on his yr 7 residential trip - they're going up north for a 5 day trip, camping, and it hasn't said in the literature NOT to put in snacks - is it generally accepted by schools that parents can put in some snacks? I'm not talking hoards of sweets, just a few savoury snacks and maybe 1 packet of sweets! Any views much appreciated as I don't want to get him into trouble by putting in stuff he's not meant to have!!! Thanks.

ihavenosecrets Fri 03-Jul-09 17:37:58

I would. They must have midnight feasts, we owe it to Enid Blyton!

MangoJuggler Fri 03-Jul-09 17:40:00

gawd yes

a 6 pack of mini cheddars, some non-melty sweets too

hah hah to enid blyton

hocuspontas Fri 03-Jul-09 17:42:43

Mini packs of Oreos and nutrigrain bars here. They usually come back uneaten and squished and hairy but at least the dcs know they are there if they are starving!

discoball Fri 03-Jul-09 19:06:24

Thanks for your replies, had to laugh at Enid Blyton!!!! You've put my mind at rest so much!! Any more responses welcome!!!! smile smile PS mini cheddars, great idea! Perhaps some Haribo?! I bet the teachers expect it, really? Just humour me.... !

seeker Fri 03-Jul-09 19:18:14

I always pack a couple of cereal bars because dd gets headaches if she doesn't eat, and a big bag of Haribo for sharing.

pointydog Fri 03-Jul-09 19:19:02

If it says not to put in snacks, I wouldn't. But I'm like that.

seeker Fri 03-Jul-09 19:19:11

Mini chaddars and crisps ans stuff like that are a problem because they get crushed to dust and make a hug mess.

mummyrex Fri 03-Jul-09 20:29:37

If you insist on putting something in (when they have asked you not to) then I would avoid anything that leaves lots of crumbs - all over the bed, or floor (thinking mice and ants)

RustyBear Fri 03-Jul-09 20:34:28

Don't do it if they are in tents - I went on an international student camp the summer between my sixth form years & we were told not to put food in our suitcases because of the squirrels.

Of course, being teenagers, we thought we knew best & one of my friends came back from a day's activities to find a large hole chewed right through her suitcase & her chocolate gone.

seeker Fri 03-Jul-09 21:11:45

I don't think they Have asked her not to have they? If they have and I missed it I withdraw my previous post about cereal bars and Haribos........

pointydog Fri 03-Jul-09 22:01:12

Yes, they have specifically been told not to.

Kids get loads of food at camp, no need for extra junk

seeker Fri 03-Jul-09 22:08:40

"and it hasn't said in the literature NOT to put in snacks " Doesn't this mean that they CAN take stuff? Or am I being thick?

janeite Fri 03-Jul-09 22:11:56

I think if they are going somewhere where meals are provided, then snacks in bags can cause problems as pupils fill up on the snacks and then don't eat the 'proper' meals ime.

The only time I'd say differently is on occasions (like when my dd went to Paris) when pupils will have to buy some of their own meals when away. Then I think that some cereal bars, dried fruit etc is a good idea, so they don't need to spend all of their spending money on big meals but can get away with a baguette and then a pre-packed snack instead.

janeite Fri 03-Jul-09 22:12:52

A Hariboed-up children are not much fun for the poor teachers who have given up their lives for a week to take them!

pointydog Fri 03-Jul-09 22:13:22

oh I misread!

put in what you want.

pointydog Fri 03-Jul-09 22:14:03

yeah, poor teachers with all the kids who feel sick at 1 in teh morning

LynetteScavo Fri 03-Jul-09 22:16:58

My mum always put in a packt of digestive biscuits. Just as I was feeling really low and homesick , I would open my case and find them. smile

scienceteacher Sat 04-Jul-09 04:57:26

It is normal to take tuck.

mummyrex Sat 04-Jul-09 10:10:59

sorry, I also misread. I'd just avoid anything that makes a lot of crumbs or is very sticky etc

discoball Sat 04-Jul-09 11:26:23

Thanks for all your replies - don't worry, my son is sensible enough not to pig out on Haribos and I'm just on about a few individual packs of Jammy Dodgers, not a hoard of stuff! Yes, you mis-read it Pointydog!! But thanks for your reply, anyway! Thanks all, off to pack a FEW items of tuck!! Thanks, Scienceteacher, always respect your views, straight, to the point and do I take your name literally, are you an actual teacher??!! Thanks, Disco

scienceteacher Sun 05-Jul-09 13:22:25

Yes, I am, disco.

I am a veteren of school residentials and day trips, as well as having seen my own children off.

discoball Mon 06-Jul-09 22:15:02

Thanks, Scienceteacher, now I know why your name crops up quite often when people need sound advice!!! Thank you. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now