Talk

Advanced search

Transition Worries

(5 Posts)
Louie1 Thu 02-Jul-09 20:39:47

My ds went for his second visit to secondary school today. He only has 1 friend from his primary school going with him. He said that both he and his friend were surrounded by a gang of boys who were calling them names and laughing at their names - they had to wear name badges. (Both boys have perfectly ordinary names!) I don't know what to do, I'm reluctant to call the school and be a problem before ds even starts, but I am concerned about this.

scienceteacher Thu 02-Jul-09 20:43:21

Has a teacher from the secondary school visited him yet? This would be a great place to voice concerns.

He is right to be worried.

Louie1 Thu 02-Jul-09 20:48:04

Yes, they had their visit to primary from the teacher before their visit to the secondary school. He was really upset last night at bed time and I can see his worries growing over the holidays - I am trying to play them down, telling him to stay with his friend and ask other to report anything that they see. I also know that he has to learn how to deal with situations like this, but it seem a bit tough on his pre-day visit.

juuule Thu 02-Jul-09 20:49:18

I would mention it to the transition mentors at the school (if you have them) or whoever deals with pastoral care and ask advice.

scienceteacher, is it usual for secondary school teachers to visit? Do you mean at home or at the primary school?

scienceteacher Thu 02-Jul-09 20:54:27

Louie, I've been doing visits and I always tell the Y6 students to get in touch if they have any questions or concerns. Has the teacher left any contact details? If so, you should not hesitate to inform them of DS's worries. I'm sure the teacher would be gutted to think that his fears may build up over the holidays.

Juule, we visit each of our new intake at their primary schools. We talk, in confidence, to their class teacher, and then to the student. The information we get is invaluable and really helps with the transition.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now