Talk

Advanced search

How many of your children have to wear blazers in the Summer?

(48 Posts)
herbietea Tue 30-Jun-09 08:55:57

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Tue 30-Jun-09 09:01:53

Message withdrawn

unknownrebelbang Tue 30-Jun-09 09:02:36

Ours were told yesterday that they don't need to wear their blazers at the moment.

bruffin Tue 30-Jun-09 09:09:41

Ds also got told yesterday he doesn't have to wear his blazer at the moment.

herbietea Tue 30-Jun-09 09:14:43

Message withdrawn

bakerslovecakes Tue 30-Jun-09 09:15:11

my dd school makes the kids sit class with their blazer on unless they are wearing a school jumper then they are allowed. They have to also arrive and leave school with their blazer on, afternoon being the hottest part of the day you'd think they would allow them to take it off, they do anyway as soon as they get round the corner.

2madboys Tue 30-Jun-09 09:18:12

Guessing these are mostly private schools? My boys' school is fairly laid back about uniform, but we had a letter yesterday telling us to send the children in wearing loose, cool clothes, hats, suncream and with plenty of water to drink. Also, that they may restrict outdoor play during the long lunch break as there is not much shade. It's a shame more schools don't have some common sense.

oshgosh Tue 30-Jun-09 09:19:47

We do shirt sleeve order.

bakerslovecakes Tue 30-Jun-09 09:31:42

my dd school isnt private but regarding the water, theres one water fountain for the whole school (well theres only 2 years because its a new academy) but thats still over 300 kids.

happywomble Tue 30-Jun-09 09:33:18

I can't believe the children are expected to wear blazers for lessons.

The children at DDs prep school just wear the blazers to and from school.

OrmIrian Tue 30-Jun-09 09:43:51

DS#1 has to wear one into school and around the school but can take them off in lessons. They are supposed to wear ties though. Which is daft. Most of the men in my office have abandoned ties in the heat.

Heifer Tue 30-Jun-09 10:19:22

My DD aged 5 is expected to take the blazer in with them. I have been leaving the cardi at home. They have a thin summer dress so in the morning the blazer isn't too hot, but it is by lunch time, so they just carry them out with them. Seems sensible to me.

LaineyW Tue 30-Jun-09 10:23:45

When my DDs were at primary we campaigned to let them take bottled water to school (I think it was called 'Water is Cool in School' or something like that).

In this day and age, I think all primary and secondary schools should allow children to take in bottled water; drinking fountains are gross...and it's a known fact that a hydrated brain performs at a higher level than a dehyrated one.

There were a few teething problems with the younger children using them as water canons etc. but this didn't last for long and the school adopted the policy after a very short trial period.

Pick up your placards!

webwiz Tue 30-Jun-09 10:31:57

Well DS has gone in his blazer but I think they are allowed to take them off in lessons without asking (apparently they normally have to ask). He finds having his blazer with him better because he uses all the pockets to keep stuff in. A couple of years ago when it was really hot my DDs were allowed to come in PE kit instead of uniform - ties are nothing compared to ankle length kilts smile

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 30-Jun-09 10:37:59

DD is allowed to leave off her blazer, but bizarrely she still has to wear her tie. Madness imo.

This is a state school btw.

herbietea Tue 30-Jun-09 10:48:32

Message withdrawn

sweetnitanitro Tue 30-Jun-09 11:00:02

When I was at school we had to wear blazers to and from school and in assembly. On the last day of school in July we were meant to stand up when the notices were read and there was always at least one kid that passed out from the heat. I think it's shocking schools are still allowed to do this sad

LetsEscape Tue 30-Jun-09 14:31:56

Our children were celebrating yesterday: they were allowed to take their ties off and open their top buttons! They acted as if it was Christmas. I 'forgot' to send them in in blazers today.

12StoneNeedsToBe10 Tue 30-Jun-09 14:36:35

DS goes to a waste of time --sh*t-- hole state school. He came home yesterday all sweaty and over-hot. They have to wear their blazers, shirts fully fastened, ties on. They can take their blazers off during lessons but have to put them when they go to the next lesson.

DS had the audacity to take a drink in class the other week - bint teacher took it off him and poured every last drop down the sink shock

12StoneNeedsToBe10 Tue 30-Jun-09 14:37:38

strike through only works round letters hmm

herbietea Tue 30-Jun-09 14:43:28

Message withdrawn

12StoneNeedsToBe10 Tue 30-Jun-09 14:51:52

I know, I was furious when he told me.

Blu Tue 30-Jun-09 14:53:00

There is no uniform at DS's school, they have been told to wear loose cotton clothing which covers their arms - no spaghetti-strapped tops!

They also take each class to the water fountain every hour, and as the water in the fountain in the playground was too warm (according to the kids) the teachers sent out for chilled bottled water from Tesco - 12 l for each class, apparantly! And the teachers are running a 'water station' in the playground, giving out cold drinks at playtime. The kids love the novelty of it all so are drinking plenty. They are also allowed water bottles on their table in class.

GrinnyPig Tue 30-Jun-09 14:54:54

DD1 has to wear her blazer and tie to and from school. They can remove their blazers in lessons if the teacher gives permission. I think they do all give permission in the current heat. State school.

MrsGuyofGisbourne Tue 30-Jun-09 16:06:26

shock at all these sadistic schools. What do they think will happen if the children do not wear blazers all the time?????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now