Talk

Advanced search

shoes

(14 Posts)
rumdontbotherreplyingmum Mon 22-Jun-09 18:12:38

DS is starting secondary school in September and will have to walk about a mile to get there, and obviously a mile to get back..

I thought I may buy some school shoes fairly soon.. <organised emoticon> but he says he doesn't want clarks ones any more..
Now I happen to like clarks, they've never given him any problem and have lasted well.. (unlike DD's cheap shoes that I seem to buy every month.. but thats another story!)

are Clarks geeky...
what are your kids wearing at secondary school these days..

GrimmaTheNome Mon 22-Jun-09 18:15:29

I know Clarks were considered geeky (except I don't think that term was invented) when I was at secondary school. In the 70's.

Some things never change!

stleger Mon 22-Jun-09 18:25:44

They are geeky here (in Ireland). Ds has Wrangler boots, dd1 has pumps from anywhere costing a fiver and falling apart monthly. DD2 is starting secondary and has narrow feet that pumps fall off....

roisin Mon 22-Jun-09 18:33:21

IME loads of boys at secondary wear Clarks. They seem less bothered about their footwear than the girls. Tbh black school shoes (rather than trainers) are generally pretty geeky anyway, but the uniform code insists on them. So they just get on with it.

Ds1 has had a pair of Bootleg from Clarks since September and worn them every day. They are looking fairly bedraggled by now, but I can't complain about the quality.

mumoverseas Mon 22-Jun-09 18:49:28

Clarks. They were geeky when I was at school (many, many years ago) but now they have some quite trendy ones. Good quality too and obviously you know they will fit properly. God, I've turned into my mother wink

janeite Mon 22-Jun-09 18:54:54

DD2 is just finishing Yr 7 and has Clarks. She would be sent home if wearing the kind of footwear Stleger describes, I think. DD1, Yr 9, has flat black ballet pumps from the women's section in M&S and her pair before that were Clarks women's ballet flats.

webwiz Mon 22-Jun-09 20:01:26

DS in in year 7 and wears Clarks shoes
these ones:

http://www.clarks.co.uk/find/SubBrand-is-bootleg/Tube-is-boys/product-is-20324761

along with hundreds of other boys at his school.

LaineyW Wed 15-Jul-09 14:09:37

School shoes are such a pain... I have two DDs (16 and 13) and have spent what seems like two or three years arguing with them about shoes. They insist on wearing ballet pumps which frankly don't last five minutes. I ended up taking them to T K Maxx and telling them that we weren't leaving until they'd found some flat black school shoes which might last until the end of term for a change. We did manage it and thankfully, the shoes are still going after about six months, which is a record.

I'd definitely give T K Maxx a try if you have a store near you, much better quality (usually) and less geeky than Clarks.

mumblechum Wed 15-Jul-09 14:13:39

DS wore the bootleg ones from Clarks till he was too big for kids shoes & now wears men's shoes from Next or M&S.

At this age there only seemed to be 1 style at clarks that fit him and when his mates came round there'd be 4 or 5 pairs of identical bootlegs.

cat64 Wed 15-Jul-09 14:32:26

Message withdrawn

LaineyW Wed 15-Jul-09 15:08:57

This could be a whole new threat cat64, I'd really like a 'withering glare' smiley.

GrapefruitMoon Wed 15-Jul-09 16:32:34

Dd was also happy to wear Clarks in Yr 7. The last pair of ballet pumps I bought her to wear at weekends fell apart in a month too so definitely will be trying to persuade her to keep wearing something more robust to school!

Would good quality black trainers be acceptable to your ds and the school?

bellavita Wed 15-Jul-09 16:37:55

DS wears Clarks shoes. He is still in a boys size (4), but the ones he has do look quite grown up. They have to wear black shoes end of, so imo Clarks it is.

bigdonna Wed 15-Jul-09 21:35:12

my ds11 is size 8 his last pair were kickers black slip ons.paid 45.00 at barratts.seen them on internet for 30.oo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now