Talk

Advanced search

music at school - performing rights

(10 Posts)
mumblecrumble Thu 18-Jun-09 06:41:09

We've just merged with another college so have tightened our belts concerning performing rights laws.

I would be interested to know if you stick to performing rights rules and how on earth you cope/pay for it.....or whether you disregard them.

Am organising concert for next week and doing Disney, anything from musicals or films would be impossible [we'd have to do the whole show insteads of individual songs and pay hundreds of pounds.] We can;t even rehearse them. Its blowing my mind!

EachPeachPearMum Thu 18-Jun-09 11:24:26

bump

islandofsodor Thu 18-Jun-09 23:03:19

Bit of an expert on this subject lol.

Rule No. 1 Don't mess with Disney, they sue.

Assuming your school has the standard PPL/PRS licences then you can perform up to 3 or 4 songs from a show in concert as long as you are not singing and dancing at the same time, putting the songs into a dramatic context or wearing costumes that suggest the original.

mumblecrumble Sat 20-Jun-09 06:36:47

Hehheheee!!! Yes. That was the main advice I got - don;t go near Disney.

islandofsodor Sun 21-Jun-09 12:42:31

You can sing Disney if in a choir type format and no costume/dance.

You got good advice on TES from florian.

Ewe Sun 21-Jun-09 12:52:52

Apparently you don't need to buy performing right for a rehearsal performance. If it is next week and you haven't been rehearsing them yet then you could consider it a rehearsal performance.

Just make sure you put on the publicity material "rehearsed and performed in a suitably short time scale" - a week probably in this case?

This is from DP - he was the production manager for a musical theatre soc at University so this type of thing was his responsibility. Assume same rules apply to colleges.

islandofsodor Mon 22-Jun-09 09:45:47

Only if the rehearsal is closed eg not open to anyone who is not a member of the school community.

You can perform to other pupils (students) and staff and governors could even possibly be included in this, but not parents, once parents come in you need to pay rights.

mumblecrumble Tue 23-Jun-09 16:02:18

How on earth did you know I w\s on TES?

islandofsodor Tue 23-Jun-09 20:36:40

Because your post on there was worded almost identically to your one on here and I always look at performing rights issue posts.

I didn't bother to answer on there as I had aldready replied to this one and florian and someone else had also given the info amist a bit of confusion from some other posters.

mumblecrumble Thu 25-Jun-09 15:10:17

My apologies. Generally I find folks on here much more lovely

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now