Talk

Advanced search

retaking gcse modules - do universities etc know?

(9 Posts)
Majorca Sat 06-Jun-09 13:44:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

snorkle Sat 06-Jun-09 15:43:25

I don't think GCSE resits are visible to universities, but I'm not entirely sure. If they are then I doubt many would take much notice of it tbh.

webwiz Sat 06-Jun-09 16:55:03

All that is shown on the certificate is the final grade not the individual modules (you do get results sheets each time modules are taken for information but they won't show on the certificate). All she would put on her UCAS form is the actual grade she received at the end of the course.

Majorca Sat 06-Jun-09 17:54:39

margotfonteyn Sun 07-Jun-09 17:10:01

I don't think an individual module would show up re GCSES. But if, for example, she took her whole Science GCSE a year early in Yr 10 and got a D, and then took it again in Yr 11 and got a B, she WOULD have to put both GCSES on her UCAS form, showing that she took the examination on two different occasions in two different years.

Cambridge (I think may be the only university) does ask for individual module results and dates for A levels, so they can see how many retakes it has taken to get up to a predicted or achieved A grade I presume!

snorkle Sun 07-Jun-09 17:39:09

and I'm told that when you do UCAS applications at the beginning of year 13, if you haven't 'cashed in' your AS levels you don't have to put the grades for them down on the form (though I think many people chose to). You can put them as 'pending' allowing for some module retakes if you want to. I think it's only a very few universities (Cambridge included) that actually ask for module scores which is why I think that it's very unlikely many/any would be interested in GCSE module scores taken a couple of years before that.

Of course, Majorca might not want to tell her dd that - she should work hard & get good grades first time around as it will make her life easier in the long run - but it's certainly not the end of the world for her if if something goes adrift.

Majorca Sun 07-Jun-09 19:41:34

lilolilmanchester Mon 08-Jun-09 18:08:28

do you know which exam board Majorca? DS is doing AQA triple science and did modules in all 3 sciences in Yr 10 (ie 3 sep module exams in Physics, Chemistry and Biology) Had 2nd modules in each in Jan (I think) and is doing the final 3 modules now. He resat 2 of the first modules to get him up to an A* and I was told that the best mark would go forward to the final result (ie if he had done worse in the resit, the higher mark would have gone forward), so it does seem that only the final result will be recorded. But might depend on the exam board. There are a few science teachers on here who might be able to give definitive answer.

Majorca Mon 08-Jun-09 21:40:45

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now