Talk

Advanced search

Year 7 parents' evening - advice please

(20 Posts)
discoball Mon 25-May-09 22:50:10

Hi, All

Have DS's yr 7 parents' evening coming up and have been asked to fill out a form saying which teachers we'd like to see. As secondary school is a new area for us, is it acceptable to want to meet most subject teachers (just for 5 mins), as it would be great to put faces to names, or should you just see the teachers if there's a specific issue? i.e. would very much like to meet the French teacher, purely because she has made such a big impact of my DS and I just want to literally say a big thanks!! Just don't want to do the wrong thing - perhaps secondary school teachers could advise? THANK YOU.

Heated Mon 25-May-09 22:53:27

Definitely the core subjects (maths, English, science), any that ds is particularly keen on or weak at/issues with. The parents of the children I teach generally see all suject teachers.

Slambang Mon 25-May-09 22:55:04

I'd say see all you can. Our yr 7 parents evening was organised with time slots for English, maths and science and queueing for the other subjects.

We'd decided not to bother to see the art teacher but she happened to be free so we 'did' her and we heard more lovely things about ds than any of his other teachers.

Didn't get round to geography or PE though!

PatTheHammer Mon 25-May-09 22:55:57

Hi,

It's quite common to see most parents in Y7 because they are simply curious to meet you and also want to know how their DC is doing in all subjects (some of which are very new to them). I teach a core subject so I normally have almost a full set of parents. You could leave out P.E and P.S.E/citizenship unless DS has any particular issues. Perhaps this would help stop you being too busy? The P.E teachers where I work don't really see many parents until GCSE level. Or you could ask DS to prioritise?

I do wish all my parents cared as much as you disco, its always the ones you really want to see that never come sadly!

discoball Mon 25-May-09 23:03:55

Ah, thanks, PatTheHammer, that's lovely of you to say that! For the most part, I just want to say thank you to the teachers and put faces to names, as a few of them have really helped my son during the transition period and his confidence is growing. I'm not blowing my own trumpet, but it does amaze me to know that some parents just don't bother to go/never sign planners/etc.... and it must be incredibly frustrating for you as teachers. Thank you to everyone for your replies, as always. Very helpful. smile

roisin Mon 25-May-09 23:24:18

We had a 'settling in' yr7 parents eve in December, and we saw about 7 or 8 teachers. Geog and History were very busy, as they teach several yr7 classes (just 1 or 2 lessons a week).

We didn't even try to see Music or Drama, who each had 4 or 5 classes each. There's no way they can get through 120 sets of parents in 1 night!

We have another parents eve after reports come out in June. I think the practice is they ask for students/parents that they want to see. I'm not sure we plan on seeing any, unless there are issues in the report that I want to discuss.

discoball Tue 26-May-09 07:31:36

Thanks, Roisin
We were actually asked to put down the names of the teachers WE'D like to see! We are going to see 6, 3 of them core subject teachers, the other 3 mixed. If says in the accompanying letter that if there are any issues they'd like to discuss then they'd contact the parents directly (in our case there are no specific issues), so I think it will be good to meet my son's teachers and it's a fairly small school anyway. Bye! smile

discoball Tue 26-May-09 07:32:13

Sorry, also meant to say, have already had yr 7 reports!

fatzak Tue 26-May-09 07:42:58

AS a French teacher I'm very grin that your son's French teacher has made such an impact on him! We are often not the best loved bunch grin

castille Tue 26-May-09 08:29:25

Fatzak - I had a terrific French teacher for most of secondary, with the result that I loved it, did a degree in it, met my future DH during my year abroad, now live in France, work as a translator and have 3 bilingual kids! Don't underestimate the impact of a great teachergrin

discoball Tue 26-May-09 12:16:29

Fatzak/Castille - read your posts with interest! My son has gone from not liking French much to loving it!! Yes, definitely do not underestimate the impact of a good teacher. It said it all when my son said to me"You know what, mum? Even the naughty ones behave in her class!" And it's not because she's very strict etc, it's because she is such a good/nice teacher that they actually WANT to please her! And it's so nice to know that there are nice teachers out there that are not only good at what they do, but nice too! I don't think you can go wrong with at least one foreign language under your belt. smile

Dysgu Tue 26-May-09 12:47:20

Just to add, when parents of my Y7 classes have made appointments just because they want to check in, put a face to a name and say thanks - best appointments of the evening!

scienceteacher Tue 26-May-09 13:07:17

You can see as many or as few teachers as you like. If you want to see them all, that's OK. I see all the teachers of my DCs, if at all possible.

If you just want to see the teacher just to say thanks, give her a bottle of wine at the end of term

discoball Tue 26-May-09 16:31:56

Dysqu, thanks so much for your post - that is great. Won't feel too bad if I just want to say thanks, then! I deliberately said to DS (only for those appts which I just wanted to meet teachers) to ask them at the end of the week, just so that we weren't taking appts from people with actual issues! Thanks again. Scienceteacher, thanks for your post - are you saying that the teachers won't like it if I'm literally saying hi/thanks? Will definitely be giving out wine at end of year 7!! smile

Docbunches Tue 26-May-09 16:37:04

I agree with the all the posts about the positive effects of a really good teacher.

My DS, currently in Y9, has chosen to do French at GCSE next year. This would have been unthinkable a year ago. It was after his lovely French teacher said at Parents' evening that he is 'a Star'! (I know I know, she prob says it to all the parents, but who cares?!).

discoball Tue 26-May-09 18:08:45

Good for your DS, Docbunches! Here's to French teachers!! wink

mommakaz Thu 28-May-09 10:12:04

I usually try to see all the teachers but I do prioritise as time can be tight especially when there are alot of parents.

cat64 Thu 04-Jun-09 22:06:30

Message withdrawn

discoball Mon 08-Jun-09 09:21:06

Thanks everyone for all your comments. Parents' evening went very well! smile

mummyrex Tue 09-Jun-09 14:15:15

You are all very lucky, we were only allowed to see 5 teachers and were only allowed 5 minutes with each of them.

One teacher even refused to give us a slot even though our bright son was having trouble with his subjest because the teacher (in the interests of 'fairness') was randomly allocating slots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now