Talk

Advanced search

William Ellis Secondary School Camden. What's going on?

(9 Posts)
zanzibarmum Mon 20-Apr-09 00:06:29

Does anyone know what's happening at William Ellis. I hear there's a big budget deficit resulting in cuts and redundancies; that the Head has left some months ago and not yet been replaced and that one of the deputy heads have also left.

frogs Mon 20-Apr-09 08:15:56

Nyeessss, I'm also waiting to see what fetches up as this is one of our options for ds.

Hopefully by September things will be a bit clearer.

sunshinecity Mon 20-Apr-09 09:58:00

New head started last year, came from an Ofsted "outstanding" school in London. New deputy head was being recruited earlier this year but not sure if appointed yet.

Not been much news on the financial side. They have increased some class sizes in order to cut costs, and I did read that one of the reasons they started the farmers market was to get more funds for the school deficit!

IIRC Ra29needsabettername's DS started at WE last year. Hopefully she can give an update!

zanzibarmum Mon 20-Apr-09 17:11:38

I was told the new head advert has not yet gone out. There is an acting head in post but he seems temporary. Why did the previous head leave with apparently also a pay off added to the deficit? Normally heads have to give sufficient notice before departure to allow for the new appointment to be made.

How can the governing body overspend so spectacularly resulting in cuts in staff for special mentors.

sunshinecity Mon 20-Apr-09 17:54:00

That seems strange. I looked at the school last term (researching for my sister) and was told there was a new head in place, Mr Cathcart, and that the acting one had left at the end of the summer holidays.

I was also told that the financial situation was caused by a huge confusion over who would pay for the new school boiler system. Something to do with the school assuming the council would pay (they wouldn't) and that the Bursar had resigned.

frogs Mon 20-Apr-09 18:36:04

I heard the boiler story too -- I think it was in the Ham & High, or one of the other papers.

zanzibarmum Mon 20-Apr-09 20:12:00

Sunshinecity - thanks for clearing the issue of the head up. Shame about the boiler!

ra29needsabettername Thu 23-Jul-09 19:06:45

very late to this thread! but new head very much there and making positive changes ds has survived his first year- well is actually doing well- settled, stimulated and with good friends.

2009 Sun 26-Jul-09 22:25:38

ra29 - glad to hear its going well for your ds at WE, its a potential for our ds2 so very interested to hear more about it.
How have you found the teaching?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now