Talk

Advanced search

how much studying (homework or reading around the subject) does your alevel dc actually do?

(18 Posts)
brimfull Mon 02-Mar-09 20:19:44

cos I am sure dd does fark all compared to what she should be doing?

brimfull Tue 03-Mar-09 14:19:44

bump

lazymumofteenagesons Tue 03-Mar-09 14:22:02

DS1 is doing AS levels. He does the homework and reads what is required for that. But I don't see him doing any extra. When I ask, he says noone does any. I think those that do read around the subjects are not admitting to it.
However, I do see a difference in the workload between science and humanities. He spends much more time on History and RS essays etc than doing maths or biology. Although he is reading a book on the human brain off his own back.

brimfull Tue 03-Mar-09 14:24:30

dd also doing As
Granted she is doing subjects that don't have much reading .maths,physics,music and french but I still think she does the bare minimum.

DrewPWiener Tue 03-Mar-09 14:24:38

God my parents used to say" go and read around the subject"

drove me nnuts

brimfull Tue 03-Mar-09 14:25:58

I know -her face is a picture when I say "haven't you got any owrk to do?"

bagsforlife Tue 03-Mar-09 15:42:58

Neither of my older DCs appeared to do much reading round the subject. Both did academic A levels and both at Russell Group universities now.

DS1 appeared to do the bare minimum needed for English, History and Economics (although he will claim he worked 'hard' but he really didn't, ie no hours and hours of studying etc). He is pretty bright but wouldn't say a genius so I think if they do what is required and no more, it isn't a disaster.

Obviously there are some students who do read around the subjects and do lots more work, which doesn't do any harm and is good practice for when they are at university. Unfortunately my DCs don't seem to fall into that category. DH always telling them 'at your age I was reading Chemistry books for PLEASURE'. You can imagine how that goes down

DH has lightened up a bit by now though....

Milliways Tue 03-Mar-09 17:16:42

DD was told they should do an hour private study for every hour of lessons.

That was impossible at AS level as she did 5 subjects so had NO free periods - BUT she did work many hours a day!

Now down to 4 subjects and often still working at 11pm. She does have a SAturday job but very little free time.

However, to take up her Cambridge place she needs the A grades.....

brimfull Tue 03-Mar-09 17:32:17

Milliways -I sort of knew your dd would be a worker.She certainly deserves her Oxbridge place.

Dd has decided she wants to study French and Music at university.So at least she has some direction now.

Milliways Tue 03-Mar-09 17:45:32

I fshe wants to do French - get her to start reading some French Literature. They have to do some for A level but the Uni's WILL ask them what French films they have seen, books they have read off syllabus to show a commitment/passion for the subject.

Music is a tough one as well - all that composing/practising etc. I suppose being in an orchestra etc shows commitment there?

brimfull Tue 03-Mar-09 19:07:07

Any recommendations of books?

BonsoirAnna Tue 03-Mar-09 19:09:24

Ggirl - get your DD some films (on DVD) about modern French life - the recent LOL and Le Code a Changé are quite fun, or the massive hit Les Chtis from last year - they will give her lots to talk about at interview.

BonsoirAnna Tue 03-Mar-09 19:11:12

She could read L'Elégance du Hérisson which was a big recent literary hit. Quite readable and easy to talk about at interview.

brimfull Tue 03-Mar-09 19:12:05

brillinat thanks Anna

BonsoirAnna Tue 03-Mar-09 19:17:17

You could get her a subscription to French Elle (for her birthday?) as that is chock a block full of information about modern French life (to be taken with a pinch of salt...) and has quite a lot of "culture" in it - that way your DD would know all about modern French slebs from all walks of the media.

brimfull Tue 03-Mar-09 19:22:06

fab idea
girl-you're on good form tonight smile

Milliways Tue 03-Mar-09 19:33:03

DD is out tonight, but I can ask her if she has enjoyed anything particularly.

Do you have Sky? DD sometimes puts TV5 and other French channels on in the background!

We started off watching known Disney films etc on DVD with the French language option grin

brimfull Tue 03-Mar-09 19:44:23

No we don't have sky,but willl make suggestion about films thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: