Talk

Advanced search

Self study Standard grade/ GCSEs.

(10 Posts)
skramble Wed 25-Feb-09 21:50:52

Considering the idea of my DS doing a standard grade in a subject he is really good at at home. He has 2 years to go before he does starts standard grades but he is way ahead of his class mates in one subject and I think he could tackle the Standard Grade within the next couple of years, rather than doing it at school and being bored with it for 2 years. There are three subjects including this one he is desperate to do but he way the choices work out he can only do two of them. The kind of careers he is considering could do with all three.

I would be able to help him quite a bit as I did really wellin this subject too at school and did a higher in it too.

Anyone had experience of this? How did the school feel about it and were they prepared to help and put them forward for the exam?

scienceteacher Thu 26-Feb-09 07:05:40

What subject is it?

skramble Thu 26-Feb-09 09:04:58

Graphic Design, don't know why I was so coy about the subject.

skramble Thu 26-Feb-09 09:06:42

We have looked at past papers and it seems really easy for him, he needs to do a bit of work on things like the proper way oflabeling things, the terms that are used and the colour wheel etc, but he is doing that in art anyway.

snorkle Thu 26-Feb-09 09:17:08

I think you should ask the school. Write a reasoned letter outlining what he'd like to do, what support you can give him and what you'd need the school to do in terms of support and also say why he wants to do it.

If it's just a matter of the school entering him for the exams then it would probably be unreasonable for them not to; if you need them to help out with practicals or coursework then I gues it's down to whether a teacher has the time and inclination and while they might help it wouldn't be unreasonable for them not to.

We did something similar recently & the school were very supportive (moreso than I expected), but you have to ask to find out.

skramble Thu 26-Feb-09 09:33:52

Thanks.

scienceteacher Thu 26-Feb-09 19:33:06

Is the course called Graphical Communications?

skramble Thu 26-Feb-09 23:41:42

Ds put me right it is Graphic Communications. Sorry to confuse things.

scienceteacher Fri 27-Feb-09 06:43:45

Caveat to say that I am not a teacher in Scotland, but I do teach an A-level course that has a similar format to the SCE GC.

I would say that it is not suitable to do as a private candidate. There is simply too much portfolio work that needs close supervision (and scrutiny for authenticity) of a teacher, as well as both ongoing and final assessment.

These applied courses may look easy at first glance, and indeed, have a lot of easy elements to them to a skilled person, but they are pretty hard to do well on.

skramble Fri 27-Feb-09 14:48:18

I am not in anyway saying that it is easy, I know I did technical drawing myself, but he seems to have the knack for it the same as I did. I know one big part of it will be developing his drawing skills and accuracy. So far the drawings he has produced although simpler are of a very high standard.

The course work is one thing that I need to find out more about and see how much of the final mark is from the portfolio and if he would be able to do this with help from the school.

Thanks for your advice. Doing this will all depend on the feedback I get from the school and if they are going to support him.

If it is not possible we will just have to take advice ont he most suitable subjects for him to take and what he can perhaps do at a later date or skip and do the higher.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: