Talk

Advanced search

How did your DCs school do in the GCSE tables?

(176 Posts)
LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 15-Jan-09 12:12:11

DD1's got a crummy 38% on the 5A-Cs including English and Maths.
This pisses me off for several reasons.
Results have been declining for several years and this is the first time the figure has dipped under 40%.
The school is utterly complacent about its results and doesn't see them as a problem - they explain them by pointing to the supposedly difficult intake.
This is entirely disingenous - there is only one local primary among their feeder schools that could be said to have a lower than average SATs score and they account for only 10% of the intake. Many of the primary schools in the area, including the one my children attend, have very, very good results, well over the national average.
I do not understand why the school feels it is acceptable to fail its pupils in this way.

UnfortunatelyMe Thu 15-Jan-09 12:16:00

DD1 should be going to a grammar, its 100% on the A-C.
The other ones on her list are 49% I will appeal if she doesnt get the grammar as they will allocate places to people who failed, and dd passed, so got to appeal really.

nametaken Thu 15-Jan-09 16:35:46

my schools not on there, why would that be?

PrimulaVeris Thu 15-Jan-09 16:46:37

V interesting to compare schools in my area. The GCSE results much same as last few years - some slight changes but overall packing and pecking order much the same.

Big difference is when I clicked on on the A level scores and it's a reverse picture of GCSE results. The 'good' schools who score very highly at GCSE had apparently low A level scores, the 2 worst in area had astronomically high scores. I'm sure this is because at the 'good' schools the A level subjects are more academic, the 'not so good' schools do more vocational and 'soft' subjects.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 15-Jan-09 17:10:26

Yes, Primula, you are probabably right. Our school was able to get away with making its GCSE results look better until they had to give the results with English and Maths included. Similarly at A level they need to seperate out the more academic subjects so you can actually compare like with like.

MaureenMLove Thu 15-Jan-09 17:13:26

Do you have a link please? Without looking though, I'm fairly certain my school will be around 40% though! Its been a tough year in Special Measures! grin

MaureenMLove Thu 15-Jan-09 17:13:57

My school that is, not DD's. Her's is a much better school, thank god!

UnfortunatelyMe Thu 15-Jan-09 17:23:25

here you go there is a search box

ForeverOptimistic Thu 15-Jan-09 17:28:27

Does anyone know when the 2008 league tables are due out?

MaureenMLove Thu 15-Jan-09 17:31:06

Thankyou UMsmile I'll look now.

southeastastra Thu 15-Jan-09 17:46:52

pretty bad too, though it is a mixed ability school and the more able students are creamed off to go to the local independents.

so no surprises i suppose.

though i imagine it'll be great fodder for the local comp bashers.

brimfull Thu 15-Jan-09 17:59:25

65% for dd's comp
down from last yrs I think

scienceteacher Thu 15-Jan-09 18:29:18

My DS got 8 A* and 2 A grades and he would have shown up as a big fat zero on his school's league table entry.

My school received a 'SS' (small school), so no %.

CarGirl Thu 15-Jan-09 18:39:18

Local school 22% ho hum, another 4 years for it to improve I guess (it's already had about 6!)

twinsetandpearls Thu 15-Jan-09 18:45:14

I am not going to defend a failing school but KS2 SATS data is very unreliable. The kids are coaced to extremes, those who have readers are often given the answers or helped to much

CarGirl Thu 15-Jan-09 18:53:56

I also think some children who get high GCSE results at "good" schools really struggle at A levels because they're not naturally academic and have been helped along IKSWIM. However if you do well at a very poor school it' all your own work.....

lljkk Thu 15-Jan-09 19:07:11

Our local HS has 42% passrate, they have been about that figure for many years.

snorkle Thu 15-Jan-09 19:11:45

0% for dc's school.

PuppyMonkey Thu 15-Jan-09 19:14:20

78% for dd's school. shock

LadyGlencoraPalliser Thu 15-Jan-09 20:03:31

Twinset - I would say the KS2 SATs data for our school is very reliable - and I say that as both a parent and the designated literacy governor. The children are not coached unduly - no extra classes, no special work at home etc, they are tracked individually through the school and they tend to achieve in line with their predicted outcomes.
As a school we are really committed to achieving the best possible outcomes for our pupils, not just academically but in all sorts of ways and it really galls me to see them move on to a school that is coasting and making excuses for underperformance, because they are basically failing those children.
OK, deep breath, rant over grin

islandofsodor Thu 15-Jan-09 20:31:47

Ours went down a lot but we were warned it would happen.

This is because as from last year all pupils do IGCSE in maths and some do it in Physics which don't count on the tables.

islandofsodor Thu 15-Jan-09 20:37:19

Actually didn;t go down too much. Still 98% but its lower down inthe tables than it was last year because of it.

No value added score as most of the pupils didn't do KS2 SATS.

herbietea Thu 15-Jan-09 20:38:12

Message withdrawn

SwedesInACape Thu 15-Jan-09 20:56:51

100% for DSs' school.

mumto3boys Thu 15-Jan-09 20:58:49

43% but when sorted by value added is one of the best in the county.

DS only started in September but we are very impressed. Streaming to the extreme - they are banded overall, but then streamed in every subject - including PE (DS is bottom, he is truly rubbish at PE!)

Attitudes and behaviour seem excellent. Exclusions are very low as they have a timetable arranged so that children who are causing problems learn at different hours to the rest.

So instead of getting rid of the poor behaviour and poor learners, they keep them, but not to the detriment of others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now