Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

MFL Yr7 targets

(9 Posts)
magentadreamer Sun 26-Oct-08 20:50:32

Dd started German this term and has been given an end of year target of a 3a. Being a nosey old boot I was wondering if this was average/below average/good expectation of a yr7 with no prior knowledge of the language.

janeite Sun 26-Oct-08 20:56:23

It sounds average - the targets for MFL are lower than other subjects, as for most children, this will be their first time studying them.

twinsetandpearls Sun 26-Oct-08 20:57:14

Ditto Janeite's post.

WhizzzingAroundOnABroomstick Sun 26-Oct-08 20:59:46

Thats in line with what we do. Assumes no prior knowledge - about average

magentadreamer Sun 26-Oct-08 21:03:37

Thanks smile. It's hard when to know when it's a totally new subject what is expected of them.

roisin Sun 26-Oct-08 21:18:43

At my (low achieving) school the highest level for the final year MFL assessment is 4c. And targets vary from 2c-4c. So a target of 3a is great.

These are some basic MFL Level 3 descriptors.
Speaking I can take part in simple conversations. I can ask and give replies two or three times.
Listening I can understand short spoken passages and pick out the main points.
Reading I can understand longer written passages and I can pick out the main points in a text.
Writing I can write simple, short phrases from memory. I can write two or three sentences with help.

roisin Sun 26-Oct-08 21:20:49

Level 4 descriptors (to give you an idea of progression)are:
Speaking: I can take part in longer conversations. I can ask questions and give replies three or four times.
Listening: I can understand longer spoken passages and pick out the main points.
Reading: I can consider longer, written passages. I can pick out the main points and some detail. Sometimes I can work out the meaning of new words from what I already know.
Writing: I can write three or four sentences from memory. I can change phrases I already know to say something new.

magentadreamer Sun 26-Oct-08 21:31:21

Cheers for that Roisin.

christywhisty Mon 27-Oct-08 22:57:42

Ds top set was expected to get 4's. He does not have an apptitude for languages
manged a 2 and 4 for French and a 3a and 3b for German.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now