Talk

Advanced search

MFL Yr7 targets

(9 Posts)
magentadreamer Sun 26-Oct-08 20:50:32

Dd started German this term and has been given an end of year target of a 3a. Being a nosey old boot I was wondering if this was average/below average/good expectation of a yr7 with no prior knowledge of the language.

janeite Sun 26-Oct-08 20:56:23

It sounds average - the targets for MFL are lower than other subjects, as for most children, this will be their first time studying them.

twinsetandpearls Sun 26-Oct-08 20:57:14

Ditto Janeite's post.

WhizzzingAroundOnABroomstick Sun 26-Oct-08 20:59:46

Thats in line with what we do. Assumes no prior knowledge - about average

magentadreamer Sun 26-Oct-08 21:03:37

Thanks smile. It's hard when to know when it's a totally new subject what is expected of them.

roisin Sun 26-Oct-08 21:18:43

At my (low achieving) school the highest level for the final year MFL assessment is 4c. And targets vary from 2c-4c. So a target of 3a is great.

These are some basic MFL Level 3 descriptors.
Speaking I can take part in simple conversations. I can ask and give replies two or three times.
Listening I can understand short spoken passages and pick out the main points.
Reading I can understand longer written passages and I can pick out the main points in a text.
Writing I can write simple, short phrases from memory. I can write two or three sentences with help.

roisin Sun 26-Oct-08 21:20:49

Level 4 descriptors (to give you an idea of progression)are:
Speaking: I can take part in longer conversations. I can ask questions and give replies three or four times.
Listening: I can understand longer spoken passages and pick out the main points.
Reading: I can consider longer, written passages. I can pick out the main points and some detail. Sometimes I can work out the meaning of new words from what I already know.
Writing: I can write three or four sentences from memory. I can change phrases I already know to say something new.

magentadreamer Sun 26-Oct-08 21:31:21

Cheers for that Roisin.

christywhisty Mon 27-Oct-08 22:57:42

Ds top set was expected to get 4's. He does not have an apptitude for languages
manged a 2 and 4 for French and a 3a and 3b for German.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: