Talk

Advanced search

Science Y8 Query

(6 Posts)
spangle1 Tue 21-Oct-08 15:59:46

My son has been given a whole module to do purely as homework this half-term. It involves working through about 12 worksheets as well as doing a project, while doing a separate module in class. The materials are badly set out and squished together and to be honest if I wasn't sitting beside him and trying to figure it out with him I don't think he would be getting anywhere with it. I am considering phoning the school to complain but he is very reticent about me doing this - worried about the teacher taking it out on him. I was under the impression that homework should consolidate what has been learnt in class and really don't think it is right that 12 year olds are being left to teach themselves. If there are any science teachers out there I would welcome opinions.

Blandmum Tue 21-Oct-08 16:02:19

It depends on the topic, TBH. and what the teacher aims to get out of it. If he/she is working on the kids' study skills then it might be valid.

I do set research homework, but not as extend as this for year 8.

spangle1 Tue 21-Oct-08 16:23:52

Thanks - I would probably be happier about it if the materials were clearer. I have struggled to make sense of some of them (admittedly I'm not scientifically gifted!), but the layout and shrinkage in photocopying make them hard to understand. It just seems odd that there is no class teaching at all and that they have to do an end of module test on it.

SqueakyPop Tue 21-Oct-08 17:20:45

What topic is it?

If it is Rocks, they arrive in Y8 with loads of knowledge already (from Junior Science and Geography lessons) that there is very little progress to be made in lessons.

No excuse for poor photocopying though.

spangle1 Tue 21-Oct-08 18:02:19

It's food webs - it's a middle school so he has been there since Y5. Anyway, he had the test today and said it was "easy", so I've probably been worrying unnecessarily!! Thanks for the advice.

SqueakyPop Tue 21-Oct-08 18:05:44

Food webs are something they do every year.

I have just had a lesson on food chains and webs with my Y6 class, and they honestly knew everything I did with them. It ended up just being a revision of terminology, so pretty much a wasted lesson.

They do it again in Y7 (or did before the course changed), adding on only a little bit of new material.

I can't quite remember waht they do in Y8 - Variation and Habitats over two topics.

Anyway, it is not totally unreasonable to do this topic as homework, with perhaps a little bit added on in class. It will free up the class time to do something far more exciting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now