Talk

Advanced search

Special needs and secondary school admissions?

(11 Posts)
MrsSnape Sun 19-Oct-08 19:02:19

Is it true that if your child has a registered 'special needs' condition (Dyspraxia for example) you can get him into any school you want him in?

magentadreamer Sun 19-Oct-08 19:25:53

I think the school has to be named on the childs statement. As in the school has special facilities etc for that particular need.

JLo2 Sun 19-Oct-08 20:15:40

Certainly round here (Herts) that is the case. If a child is statemented and the school is named on the statement then you come top of the list when places are allocated. This definitely does not apply to children with SEN without a statement even if they have a specific diagnosis.

FangolinaJolly Sun 19-Oct-08 20:17:55

I think so,will ask dd Portage worker when I next see her,Mrs S.

janeite Sun 19-Oct-08 20:19:25

Only if they have a full statement of Special Educational Needs; in which case the school is obliged to give them priority for admissions.

lazymumofteenagesons Sun 19-Oct-08 20:59:53

DS2 currently at private school. Has had Ed Psych reports, but not statemented (dyslexis/dyspraxia). Would like in a few years to move him to state 6th form which we are not in the catchment area. If I get him statemented will this help?

swedishmum Sun 19-Oct-08 21:20:54

Only if you have a statement. Would be very difficult for dyspraxia I imagine. Pretty well impossible for dyslexia. Ds is dyslexic (diagnosis agreed by LEA staff) but got no concessions for 11 plus.

cory Wed 22-Oct-08 17:36:42

A statement is not necessary if a child has documented medical needs and you can prove that he/she would be significantly disadvantaged by not being able to attend the school in question. Probably hard to prove with dyspraxia, though, unless the school has a particular dyspraxia programme. My friend's children got in because they have special counselling and the children have emotional needs. Dd got in because she is disabled (but not statemented). You have to provide reams of professional letters of support to get anywhere though.

Our LEA does not statement children with physical disabilities, so they have to make separate allowance for medical needs.

pagwatch Wed 22-Oct-08 17:42:43

<<pag rolls about on the floor laughing.>>

A statement gives you a description of the needs the child has which should be met by the school they attend. The LEA then try very hard to get you to accept the cheapest possible option for that childs minimum needs.
When my son left his SN nursery he left with 10 other children. Only THREE of those children were offered any school at all!

pagwatch Wed 22-Oct-08 17:45:44

When DS1 reached secondary age last year I had to visit three schools - two of which were totally wrong for his needs. I would have had to home school him had he not got the school we wanted.
[phew emoticon]

wonderstuff Wed 22-Oct-08 17:46:24

Our local special school has two pupils applying for every place, all the children who apply have the school recommended on there statement of SEN

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now