Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone's DC been on a PGL Spanish/French residential, or teachers with experience of these - value for money?

(11 Posts)
fruittea Wed 08-Oct-08 10:50:07

DD went to France with them last year, and whilst she enjoyed herself, it was expensive - £350. She's been invited on a Spanish one this year, and it's over £500 shock - flying rather than ferrying.

Accommodation/food weren't that great last time, and whilst I appreciate that the whole experience is about far more than that, I'm wondering, does this sort of trip offer real value for money, or is it a rip-off?

roisin Wed 08-Oct-08 16:55:21

How long are they going for?

I take yr7s every year to Germany with school (not PGL - another company). It costs c.£300 for just 5 days, including 2 days spent travelling (19 hrs on coach!).

We live in a deprived area, and for some students it's their first time abroad, tasting foreign food, speaking German, etc. So for them it is definitely an important experience.

Going as a group with your mates rather than family is fun too.

But I think in terms of language-learning and exposure to culture you can get far better value-for-money having a family holiday there. Costs for school trips are high because of all the regulations and red tape.

fruittea Thu 09-Oct-08 10:02:29

They're going for 5 days - Monday to Friday. This includes a coach to London, flights, then accommodation for 4 nights, and three days out and about.

Thanks for your feedback - I think you're right, she'd have great fun with her mates, and from an independence/confidence point of view it would be good for her. I'm slightly dubious about what she'd gain in terms of exposure to the language/culture because last year, having just been on her French trip, we went back to France for our family holiday and she spoke just two words of French in public all fortnight!

She said this morning that she's not sure if she'll do Spanish next year (she's Y9). So I think a sit down and a good chat are called for tonight, as the form has to be in tomorrow.

roisin Thu 09-Oct-08 18:19:46

I think £500+ for a holiday that is basically 3 days there plus lots of travelling is an awful lot of money.

When ds1 gets opportunities for this sort of thing I will let him take part if he wants to. But I hope they are cheaper than your school!

I think £500+ for a holiday that is basically 3 days there plus lots of travelling is an awful lot of money.

When ds1 gets opportunities for this sort of thing I will let him take part if he wants to. But I hope they are cheaper than your school!

unknownrebelbang Thu 09-Oct-08 18:38:11

Roisin, do you think £500 is a lot of money for this trip then? wink

Sorry OP, no useful advice.

roisin Thu 09-Oct-08 19:24:38

Oops. Sorry. I don't know how that happened blush

fruittea Thu 09-Oct-08 21:44:23

grin

Thanks - well, none of her friends are going, so she's decided she doesn't want to either. Clearly she was very much motivated by the cultural/educational aspects of the trip hmm

So that's another dilemma parked until the next time.

Thanks again.

magentadreamer Fri 10-Oct-08 07:38:34

Well that saved you a packet. DD has shown an interest in the school ski trip -no doubt I'll need to sell a kidney to afford that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now