Talk

Advanced search

Homework marking

(9 Posts)
magentadreamer Sun 05-Oct-08 22:47:15

How long are your DC's waiting for homework to be marked and returned to them? DD does her homework religiously -the thought of telling me she's got a detention for not doing homework is probably a good incentive grin But in some subjects DD hands it in and hasn't recievd it back marked or been told what grade she's got.I'd add this is work handed in weeks ago not last week!

SqueakyPop Sun 05-Oct-08 23:45:19

I mark all my books every week, usually the same day as homework is due in. They get it back next lesson, ready for the next lesson and homework.

magentadreamer Mon 06-Oct-08 18:58:32

Thanks SqueakyPop I thought perhaps I was being a bit precious and thinking homework should be marked within a 3 week period! DD herself wants to know how she got on and I'd like to know if the stuff she is doing is up to scratch.

Blandmum Mon 06-Oct-08 19:00:30

I mark books once every two weeks.

I check that the HW is done of the day that it is due.

I don't give grades, I give detailed feedback on how they have done, and how they can improve

roisin Mon 06-Oct-08 19:28:29

ds1's homework is usually marked very promptly (usually by the next lesson in that subject) and feedback given.

I have to say though that for most activities he learns far more through the process of actually completing the homework than he does seeing the ticks/comments/marks, whatever.

Depending on the subject teachers can from time to time get completely overwhelmed with marking. English, for example, is extremely time-consuming to mark. Also teachers of 1-lesson subjects (drama, art, music, IT, etc) may well teach 600 students a week!

According to school routines they may have to set homeworks for a large number of classes at the same time, but it's just not practicable to mark all these homeworks straight away.

magentadreamer Tue 07-Oct-08 21:38:29

Thanks Roisin. I do understand DD is one of hundreds to most of her subject teachers but since the begining of term Dd has only had 3 peices returned to her and I wanted to know if it was the norm for homework to be returned 3+ weeks after it's been set.

SqueakyPop Tue 07-Oct-08 21:52:05

If your DD is on a two-week timetable, the expectation would be that there would be a two-week cycle for homework being set, handed in, marked, and handed back. I think most teachers work to one timetable cycle.

I think most teachers would be unhappy if they let homework slip to 3+ weeks, but these things do happen. When pressure is on, homework marking is one of the easiest things to let slip, and I'm sure the teacher will feel that she has failed somewhat by letting this happen - but it does happen, it's a normal part of the school year.

What may have happened is that some of the homework set has been something like a poster (especially given that it is Open Day and Tour season) or presentation, that isn't marked and handed back in the traditional way. It will still be assessed, but not via exercise books.

If you are worried, you should be able to get a copy of the school's assessment and homework policies.

magentadreamer Tue 07-Oct-08 22:03:32

Thanks Squeaky Pop. Shes does the same each week lesson wise -thankfully as I could see her showing up places she wasn't supposed to be!

The majority of her homework has been work sheet based. But at least now I know why her English assignments haven't been marked in the way I thought they would have been -two of these were presentations.

Im sure it will settle down into a pattern eventually it's hard to know if something is wrong when you don't know the system!

twinsetandpearls Tue 07-Oct-08 22:10:23

We have a two week timetable, I try if possible to have work marked and handed back the next lesson but that is not always possible as I teach 14 classes plus an a level group which is equivalent to about 450 books a week to mark in a cycle.

I have fallen behind with my year 7 marking, there books have not been marked in that 2 week cycle. I have apologised they have a note in their planner explaining why.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now