Talk

Advanced search

Any teachers or year 11 students who can PLEASE enlighten us on how humanities and science works in Wales ?

(10 Posts)
fakeblonde Mon 22-Sep-08 17:15:30

Cor bring back the good old O Level i say !
DD and i are really struggling and have both asked how humanities and science works and we are still at a loss .
Would love to chat to someone if your in the know for Wales ?
Cheers.

wonderstuff Mon 22-Sep-08 17:22:10

I'm in England, but teach hums, what do you need to know?

Blandmum Mon 22-Sep-08 19:56:15

I'm in england and teach science, can I help at all?

fakeblonde Mon 22-Sep-08 20:09:02

Not sure.
In Wales they take exams in year 10.
In yr 10 dd CHOSE to do Geography,but for some reason then did history for a year.She got a d in her history exam which she can retake to a c grade.She got an A * in her history coursework.This year she is doing modules on geog rs and american history-i think it makes up 4 modules which might eventually give her a gcse in humanities .
I just cant believe she spent a whole year studing history for what sounds like the possibility of a quater of a gcse.

I really need to understand it because she is struggling with history re and geo coursework x 4 and 4 exams all for 1 gcse.
She did get an A star in all her course works because she is really good at course work and cant do exams.

Should she go through the stress of retaking her history for a c because when she studies she really studies-hours and hours, and she has so much else to revise in so short a time.

Blandmum Mon 22-Sep-08 20:59:25

can't help with the geog/history stuff

In science they do exams and course work (different exam boards vary in what they ask of the kids so I can't comment on the WJEC demands) in year 10 and get a GCSE in Science.

They do the same thing in year 11 and get a GCSE in additional science.

If the do separate sciences, they do more exams and c/w and end up with three GCSEs in Bio, Chem and physics.

Does that help at all?

TheFallenMadonna Mon 22-Sep-08 21:01:23

You need to ask her teacher what the deal is with the humanities. Is there a parents evening coming up? Or just phone the school and ask for the teacher to call you.

fakeblonde Mon 22-Sep-08 21:01:33

Thanks.
My dd didn`t get a gcse in science though last year-she is doing additional science though.

Blandmum Mon 22-Sep-08 21:16:07

By the end of year 11 she will have 2 GCSEs one in science and one in additional science

fakeblonde Mon 22-Sep-08 21:30:04

Fab thank you .Hope the same can be said for humanities x

mumeeee Mon 22-Sep-08 22:52:16

DD3 16 took core science in year 10 and then did additional science in yrae 11. Some of the children in highrer sets chose to do triple science ( that is seperate chemistry, biology and physics exams}

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now