Talk

Advanced search

What is the official line on taking secondary age children out of school for holidays?

(19 Posts)
mosschops30 Tue 02-Sep-08 13:39:11

I am hoping to be pg next year so am limited as to when we can take holidays.
Easter holidays would be ideal but not to where we want to go (either greek islands or algarve).
So that leaves us with the May holidays which means I would need to take dd out of school for one week at the beginning of June.

I know in primary they allowed up to 11 days authorised absence. However in her strict catholic secondary school they frown on taking children out and have even refused some people. When I took dd out for one day before Xmas last year you'd have thought I'd asked them for a kidney and I had a letter from the head saying he would allow it but didnt approve.

So what can I do? What do you do?

zippitippitoes Tue 02-Sep-08 13:41:19

it is unauthorised absence

they will refuse

mosschops30 Tue 02-Sep-08 13:54:35

really?? Mybe Ive been living under a stone but how can they refuse 5 days out of school.

There are kids in dd's school who must have about 2 months off a year in sickness

Would it be worth me writing to the Head and asking him first?

FluffyMummy123 Tue 02-Sep-08 13:56:06

Message withdrawn

mosschops30 Tue 02-Sep-08 14:01:21

It wasnt old hat in primary school which was only just over a year ago. We were permitted 11 days per year

mosschops30 Tue 02-Sep-08 14:14:59

bump anyone got any suggestions? Or has anyone just taken there dcs out of school regardless?

NoMoreOlympics Tue 02-Sep-08 14:17:22

You can take her out regardless but expect it to be documented as unauthorised abscence.

Does it really matter though? She won't need to declare it when she goes to job interviews etc!

OrmIrian Tue 02-Sep-08 14:19:28

I expect the official line is 'Tut tut, that's very bad'? Probably.

slug Tue 02-Sep-08 14:28:46

Cross that bridge when you come to it.

Just a small point though, I worked for many years in Further Education and I had classes and classes full of students who were the tragic result of parents taking them out of class for trips to their home countries. So many of them failed because they missed vital parts of the course or were in 'holiday' mode both before they left and after they came back. Most schools and colleges won't let a student resit a GCSE if they get below a D grade. I had one student who failed his GCSEs for that precise reason. He was a bright lad, could have passed easily, but as a result he lost two years of his education to his parent's desire for a holiday.

mosschops30 Tue 02-Sep-08 14:57:21

I suppose it doesnt 'really matter' but she has worked hard to get into the top band (she was originally in the lower band) and I feel like a bit of a fraud blush

saying that, is 4 or 5 days out of school as a one off going to do any real harm. Normally we would be able to go in school hols (we went august this year) but not possible as I expect to be about to drop by then so cant fly.

Shes just going into year 8 so no gsce worries yet. I wouldnt dream of taking her out then.

Given the amount of days they had off last year to Inset and strikes makes me feel a bit peeved that they might not let me have 4 or 5 days.

Should I write to him first then, explain the situation and see what he says.

islandofsodor Tue 02-Sep-08 15:00:20

They would have had no extra dyas off for INSET though they have had for strikes. Children are in school 190 days per year. Teachers are in school for 195 days per year.

Before INSET children were still in school for 190 days but teachers were too, they have to work 5 extra days now.

I wouldn;t take them out in secondary, it's much harder to catch up.

mosschops30 Tue 02-Sep-08 15:02:37

do you not think holidays are important too though for them just to be kids for a couple of weeks to unwind.

I have to say that when we went away this year because they were out all day in the pool and on the beach, then dancing all night they were the most well behaved Ive ever seen them and both slept like logs every night grin

Loshad Tue 02-Sep-08 16:30:23

but thta is why they get the long summer hols, to be kids and unwind - and tbh they don't need to go abreoad to do that.
In Y8 she may well miss intorductions to difficult topics and continue to struggle with those topics thereafter. why not just go for a week in May, or go at Easter (v. good time to go Greece ime/o)

herbietea Tue 02-Sep-08 16:35:21

Message withdrawn

SummatAnNowt Tue 02-Sep-08 17:13:36

Just do it!

So much angst on here about tiny school absences! It doesn't make you a bad parent. It won't forever damage your child's prospects. You know what's best for your family and your children!

Why should you care about an "unauthorised absence", it's used in such a tyrannical way!!

Free yourself from state brainwashing!!!!

Okay, maybe I've gone over the top there...!

NoMoreOlympics Tue 02-Sep-08 18:44:02

yeah!

< punches air in wolfie stylee >

power to the people!

themoon66 Tue 02-Sep-08 18:52:45

We always used to take May half term and the week after for our holidays before GCSEs courses started. School were fine about it.

And, like others have pointed out, what are they going to do? Sack her? Unauthorised absences!!! Pah.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Tue 02-Sep-08 18:54:01

The 'allowed' 10 days is discretionary. Some heads/LA's don't allow any.

All schools are under huge scrutiny for attendance so they won't be happy. Sorry. Doesn't mean you can't take them though - just that the days will be 'unauthorised'. Schools can fine you if you have too many unauthorised days.

RustyBear Tue 02-Sep-08 19:34:00

DD's school always had end of year exams the first week after the summer half term - you might want to check if your DD's school does. Or if they are the week after, you will need to check she doesn't miss any important information about the exams.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now