Talk

Advanced search

What happens if you move...and there are no school places available?

(9 Posts)
Dropdeadfred Mon 01-Sep-08 12:18:15

Myself and my DH are pretty much decided that due to the standard of schools in our area we would like to move to a different area in Surrey. The areawe want to move to has excellent primary and secondary schools but they are all very over-subscribed.
If we did it couldn't be until next year...perhaps March time...
DD1 is at colege - this would not affect her
dd2 will be doing her gcses (at a failing school and would love to move her)
dd3 is due to start school in sept 2009 and we have to send our choices form back by October 23rd...but we won't be in this town by next year so our choices would be made irrelevant

HELP!!
What happens if we move only to find that there are no school places in the town for dd2 or dd3? What do the LEA HAVE to offer you by law?

annh Mon 01-Sep-08 14:55:18

Can you give us an idea of where in Surrey you are planning to move to? 'Cos our bit of Surrey is one of the parts that I hear regularly is over-subscribed for all schools - and it's not true. Granted, all of the best schools are full but there are a number of perfectly acceptable schools which usually have spaces.

Dropdeadfred Mon 01-Sep-08 15:25:13

Reigate smile

PrimulaVeris Mon 01-Sep-08 15:28:09

You'll get offered a place ... but quite likely a place in a failing school in a different town (I'm not in Surrey though). Unless of course, you're just lucky and in right place at right time and manage to get a place at a good school ....

Dropdeadfred Mon 01-Sep-08 15:29:25

Hmmmm Primula...thanks for your honesty...I think. grin

annh Mon 01-Sep-08 16:55:07

Sorry I am a different bit of Surrey so can't help. However, I believe the LEA has an obligation to provide an education for your children so they will find a school place somewhere but at Primula said, possibly at a failing school and possibly not very close to home.

dinasaw Mon 01-Sep-08 22:24:19

As soon as you know which area or town you will be moving to, contact the Local Authority to send you the guides to changing schools for the age groups you will need. Check with them regarding the procedure for applying for places as you will probably be applying outside of the specified dates. They can send you all the forms you need and tell you when to apply.
The Local Authority will provide you with a place at the nearest school with a vacant place. If it is over the statutory walking distance for the child's age they should provide you with a bus pass for the child.
I think from memory it is 2 miles if under 8, 3 miles if under 16. Over 16 and they are not obliged to provide transport.
If you are not happy with the school places offered then you can appeal.

intolerant Tue 02-Sep-08 14:34:46

'Over-subscribed' can often mean for Year 7 when everyone is applying from Year 6. In a large secondary school, turnover can be quite high, so often places come up.

SqueakyPop Tue 02-Sep-08 20:15:47

We moved too late and had to go private. We are in a 'bad' part of Surrey, with our local school disappointing and only available school out of the question.

If you miss the October deadline, you are at the mercy of the waiting list, and only really stand a decent chance if you live next door to school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now