Talk

Advanced search

He doesn't want to do work experince

(193 Posts)
sarah293 Fri 25-Jul-08 17:21:20

Message withdrawn

Blandmum Fri 25-Jul-08 17:23:08

If this happens in the school I work in the kids are often 'employed' with the school caretaker. Can they not do that for them?

Sadly lots of schools do expect the kids to set the thing up as part of the 'working experience'thing

Whizzz Fri 25-Jul-08 17:28:42

yes, we also have kids 'working' in the office & with the IT techies. What interests does he have - could you motivate him by playing on his interests ? Why does he not want to do it?

bellabelly Fri 25-Jul-08 17:39:55

Contact the LEA - most have links with businesses and are prepared to help set up work experience placements. BUT if your LEA is not, even after you've explained your situation, you could suggest that he goes to work there - at the LEA office?

The school I have just left offered huge amounts of help but the one before that expected kids to pretty much sort themselves out - seems to really vary. However, all the kids who didn't manage to get placements ended up back in school - usually bored and miserable. if there's any way you can help him to get sorted. I know it's not easy and you have enough to deal with.

AbbeyA Fri 25-Jul-08 17:40:12

I think that it is unfair to expect them to organise it. My DS's school organised it for them, but they had the option of finding their own. All 3 of my DSs tried on their own but failed, many employers don't want the bother and we didn't have family contacts. Luckily they were able to fall back on the school.
It depends what he wants to do-a primary school would probably take him but if he is anything like my DSs he wouldn't want it!

savoycabbage Fri 25-Jul-08 17:40:41

I think I would be quite temp[ted to give him a list of the things that you don't want to do. Lots of people don't want to work. But they have to.

My dd has just pooped in her washable nappy. I don't want to deal with it but I have to so this may be making me feel a bit on the tough side!

goingslowlymad Fri 25-Jul-08 17:41:06

Message withdrawn

AbbeyA Fri 25-Jul-08 17:41:56

Sorry reading mine through it isn't very helpful if he doesn't want to go to a primary school. What is he interested in?

Hannah81 Fri 25-Jul-08 17:45:55

I'm sure you could take 30mins out to ring a couple of businesses, or since you are already on the internet making posts on MN, you could email them?
Please don't post back nasty comments which you did to me before, I am just trying to help.

milknosugar Fri 25-Jul-08 17:46:05

type a standard letter, print off 15 copies and send them to 15 companies. if no one replies tell school what you did and who you approached. done in less than 10 minutes

milknosugar Fri 25-Jul-08 17:47:59

or get him to do work experience as a sahp/carer.make him do everything you normally do, would that count?

brimfull Fri 25-Jul-08 17:48:57

does he like sport?

sometimes the pe teachers need assistants

Elasticwoman Fri 25-Jul-08 17:50:09

Goingslowly - I think that's a bit harsh.

Riven's ds may well take the view that he's being asked to organise some slave labour for himself when actually he is entitled to a fortnight's education from the teachers who are paid to teach him.

Riven, are you a lone parent? Because if not I'd delegate this one to dp/dh. If you are, how about exh/p, or do you have any relative or close friend who could help? And don't feel you can't mention your disabled dd. I for one do not mind being reminded.

sarah293 Fri 25-Jul-08 17:51:36

Message withdrawn

milknosugar Fri 25-Jul-08 17:53:46

what about something techie? my AS son would love to work in a computer centre. local internet business, local shop which fixes computers, do you have a university or college nearby he could work in the science or computing dept? sorry if im generalising wrong there but lots of AS people enjoy science and tech.

Hannah81 Fri 25-Jul-08 17:55:19

Maybe having him at home with you would be able to count towards work experience? If the school know he has aspergers, why are they being so harsh? A friend of mine's DD has aspergers and it's really hard work - I can't believe (well I can) that the school are being so difficult about this.

chopchopbusybusy Fri 25-Jul-08 17:55:38

Some pupils at DDs school sort out their own placements and others have access to a list of employers who are usually willing to take on pupils. Lots of the primary schools take them on. I do think you need to really encourage him to do this. Do you know why he doesn't want to do it?

Whizzz Fri 25-Jul-08 17:57:10

I'd say a job within the school where he is familiar & people know him would be a good start. Surely the school must be able to help a little in sorting out something for him?

sarah293 Fri 25-Jul-08 17:57:45

Message withdrawn

chopchopbusybusy Fri 25-Jul-08 17:58:31

Sorry x posts. Does he have any idea what he would like to do when he leaves school. Can you encourage him to see this as a positive. It's a chance for him to see that working is not a scary prospect. I can't see that just ticking a box saying he was a carer will be helpful as it's something he is used to every day.

Hannah81 Fri 25-Jul-08 17:59:56

Chopchop, its prob because of the aspergers that he doesn't want to do it - from what I understand of it (please correct me if I'm wrong) but people with aspergers show similarities to autism - they like things that are routine, and anything different from routine is very stressful for them - Riven am I right?

Whizzz Fri 25-Jul-08 18:00:05

Riven - I'd phone up the school - ask to speak to the SENCO who knows him & get them to help sort it out. Expecting him/you to do it is too much. School should be supporting him & that includes helping him find something to do. <stamps foot!>

milknosugar Fri 25-Jul-08 18:00:18

do you have a local college or uni? can he attend lectures and be a student for a week? of course he cant do research but he can be the tea boy and see what happens in these places. if you are more positive about it thre is a chance he will be. promise to go and look round with him before he starts, that should help his nerves

goingslowlymad Fri 25-Jul-08 18:00:30

riven, I am sure you are a wonderful mother to your daughter, but I still maintain that your son is also a very special person and deserves a few minutes of your time to help him get his work experince.

Work experience is not pointless, BTW, or school wouldn't bother to go to all the hassle of persuading non-compliant pupils and parents to co-operate.

Whizzz Fri 25-Jul-08 18:00:46

(sorry, am a TA in secondary & a couple of the pupils I support have AS. SENCO should help) smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now