Talk

Advanced search

My sons army cadets.

(40 Posts)
Jack198012 Sun 21-Feb-21 02:56:17

Hi my sons in year 9 and joined army cadets last year but because of lockdown the year ended quicker than expected. He's been telling me recently about that they have the same uniform the whole year. (A t-shirt fleece jumper and smock with a belt that needs to be tight). The fleece bit is like optional but recommended. Now from how things are looking he will probably be returning around the start of summer but surely he can't be expected to wear 3 layers in the summer heat. Know sometimes there parades last hours of standing in the sun etc. Is this like normal or not?

OP’s posts: |
Jack198012 Sun 21-Feb-21 16:21:26

Forgot to mention this is part of his school so they wear it twice a week around school as well.

TheLetterZ Sun 21-Feb-21 19:59:11

They just don’t wear all the layers in summer. Mine just wear the shirt with the sleeves rolled up.

Jack198012 Sun 21-Feb-21 21:03:37

I asked him about shirts and he just has the uniform i listed above and that's what they are told to wear all year.

RunningFromInsanity Sun 21-Feb-21 21:11:43

We use to wear the tshirt and smock/jumper in Winter and then have a Summer uniform of just the shirt with sleeves rolled up (to an exact measurement and dead even- such a pain!)

Jack198012 Sun 21-Feb-21 21:14:49

That sounds like how it should be but he doesn't have anything else. That's just what they have to wear all year.

RunningFromInsanity Sun 21-Feb-21 21:43:02

The shirt you wear in the Summer is the same as the Winter shirt, you just roll the sleeves up.

Jack198012 Sun 21-Feb-21 21:47:57

In the winter he wears a tshirt jumper and smock with belt over and has to in the summer to. There isn't a shirt for him.

EduCated Mon 22-Feb-21 08:49:32

Maybe your son is wrong, and just wasn’t there long enough to get the summer stuff with lockdowns etc.?

At the point they go back, ask (or rather, get him to ask).

Jack198012 Mon 22-Feb-21 08:53:40

EduCated

Maybe your son is wrong, and just wasn’t there long enough to get the summer stuff with lockdowns etc.?

At the point they go back, ask (or rather, get him to ask).

I thought that a bit as well before I opened this, so I asked them and they did confirm this is there only uniform.

extentioncord Mon 22-Feb-21 08:54:56

Maybe cadets isn't for him?

The uniform, regardless of who is right in this situation, is an absolute basic and the very least of the discipline expected.

Whynotnowbaby Mon 22-Feb-21 08:57:16

I know you have asked them about uniform but perhaps you could ask them the actual question you asked us regarding how it is made appropriate for summer? None of us know what your son’s school expects.

Jack198012 Mon 22-Feb-21 08:59:18

extentioncord

Maybe cadets isn't for him?

The uniform, regardless of who is right in this situation, is an absolute basic and the very least of the discipline expected.

Nah he's sure he's wants too go. I'm just making sure he'll be alright. Seen they sometimes have long parades on summer camps. When its the warmest.

Karatema Mon 22-Feb-21 09:03:41

My husband is involved with cadets (not CCF) and the adults have a duty of care to the children so they must ensure the cadets are comfortable and not overheating in the summer.

Jack198012 Mon 22-Feb-21 09:08:56

Karatema

My husband is involved with cadets (not CCF) and the adults have a duty of care to the children so they must ensure the cadets are comfortable and not overheating in the summer.

Alright. Guess they would let them have drinks etc.

Jack198012 Mon 22-Feb-21 09:10:37

Whynotnowbaby

I know you have asked them about uniform but perhaps you could ask them the actual question you asked us regarding how it is made appropriate for summer? None of us know what your son’s school expects.

I shall ask them that now. Thanks for the idea.

eddiemairswife Mon 22-Feb-21 09:47:17

A few years ago a soldier died during a hot weather training exercise, and others were unwell.

freezedriedromance Mon 22-Feb-21 09:50:24

When I was a cadet and it got warmer we were told to wear our shirts with our sleeves rolled up. Very specific measurements. It wasn't a case of cadets could decide when to do this though, we were told as a unit that from X date it would be short sleeve order. Until that point, still in jumpers.

Aroundtheworldin80moves Mon 22-Feb-21 09:55:54

DH is in Regular Army. I once got a panicked phone call on the 1st October to bring his winter uniform to his office as he hadn't realised the date.

Jack198012 Mon 22-Feb-21 09:59:45

freezedriedromance

When I was a cadet and it got warmer we were told to wear our shirts with our sleeves rolled up. Very specific measurements. It wasn't a case of cadets could decide when to do this though, we were told as a unit that from X date it would be short sleeve order. Until that point, still in jumpers.

Thats how I would assume it would be but they just don't have a shirt they just have the tshirt jumper and smock. Apparently very itchy jumper so he has to wear a fleece under it to feel comfortable.

Outbutnotoutout Mon 22-Feb-21 10:07:54

Have you not spoken to your sons detachment Commander, he/she should be able to give you all the information.

I am a lieutenant in the Army Cadets and we are running online lessons at the moment, due to covid.

Jack198012 Mon 22-Feb-21 10:11:23

Outbutnotoutout

Have you not spoken to your sons detachment Commander, he/she should be able to give you all the information.

I am a lieutenant in the Army Cadets and we are running online lessons at the moment, due to covid.

I have indeed asked and they did confirm that's what there supposed to wear.

Jack198012 Mon 22-Feb-21 17:30:27

Hi. Just got a reply from them and they say they believe that the uniform is fair. It can get a bit warm in the summer at times they can always get a drink.

Jack198012 Mon 22-Feb-21 17:30:58

Don't get why they don't just get shirts though like everyone else guess its fine though if they say so.

Outbutnotoutout Mon 22-Feb-21 17:56:30

They should get

2 x shirts
2 x trousers
2 x T-shirts (they pick up extra ones on annual camp)
1 x Fleece
2 x sock
1 x belt
1 x smock (jacket)
1 x beret and badge

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in