Talk

Advanced search

Westminster Under WUS 11+ 2021 Entry

(33 Posts)
1980sMum Tue 19-Jan-21 11:01:20

Hi

Anyone else on here for the Westminster Under 11+ online 2021 assessments next week?

And any WUS parents who are able to provide advice on the interview please? My DS is not someone who would take to prepping (he's very honest!) - plus I assume they want to see the 'real' DS - but it would be useful to know the rough format of the interview at least.

I don't know anyone who has ever attended or been for WUS so it's a bit unfamiliar and DS is not at a prep school.

Thanks in advance.

OP’s posts: |
BettertoChange Tue 19-Jan-21 11:44:03

Not WUS parents. WUS interview is a continuing academic assessment. I remember DS was shown a poem and then asked questions about it (a few years ago). DS was not at a prep school either and not prepared for the interview.

StrugglingPa Tue 19-Jan-21 12:12:16

@1980sMum My DS gave 7+ but I have a friend whose children gave the 11+ and passed it. She didn't prep them at all but they were from pvt schools. She did say that at 11+ they wanted some understanding of the current affairs. Creative writing or thinking was another thing she pointed out as u can't be tutored in that beyond a point.

1980sMum Tue 19-Jan-21 13:06:50

Thank you, that's very helpful. My DS likes to read the daily paper (often on the toilet haha) so hopefully that's enough current affairs.

His creative writing is pretty OK but his handwriting is atrociously bad! Not holding out much hope here but he'll give it a go...

This year they are doing the second stage online in the format of 2 x 15 minute tests - any idea of how many kids normally sit this stage and how many are invited for interview?

MrsPatmore Tue 19-Jan-21 15:28:21

Search my old posts as ds offered an 11+ place. The independent talk forum on the eleven plus exams forum worth a look too.

BettertoChange Tue 19-Jan-21 16:06:32

2 to 1 for interview previously. This year might be different as the exam format is quite different.

1980sMum Wed 20-Jan-21 10:40:22

Thank you all. I'll look them up; also useful to know the exam to interview ratio.

questioningalways Wed 03-Feb-21 19:03:25

If anyone's DC has been for 11+ interview, what did you think?

I'm worried that my DS was just invited out of courtesy as the interview was very relaxed (mainly questions about book read, family, interests etc), whereas other schools have been much more 'demanding'. Not complaining, as DS came out happy but just wondered whether the fact that it wasn't particularly probing is a sign that he was not really considered a viable candidate?

A shame in a way, as DS really enjoys and responds to in-depth, probing questions.

Dadababa99 Thu 04-Feb-21 01:55:56

My son just finished the 11+ interview, as you said, it’s just casual chat and nothing academic.

questioningalways Thu 04-Feb-21 08:49:10

@Dadababa99 Thanks, that's good to hear.

elevenplusnightmare Fri 12-Feb-21 16:55:07

We received an offer (email today) from WUS!!!

Sonotzenmum Sun 21-Feb-21 07:31:06

DC been waitlisted at both CLS and WUS this year. Is this just sheer bad luck? Do these lists actually ever move? Is it just courtesy I.e.: your son is bright enough but we dont think he/you are the right fit?

Sonotzenmum Sun 21-Feb-21 07:34:08

Does anyone know of parents with a WUS 11+ offer that are thinking of rejecting it? Is that ever done?

BettertoChange Sun 21-Feb-21 12:39:26

Sonotzenmum

Does anyone know of parents with a WUS 11+ offer that are thinking of rejecting it? Is that ever done?

We rejected the WUS offer a few years ago.

elevenplusnightmare Sun 21-Feb-21 12:53:17

I think we might - it's a tough, tough one, as we've heard amazing things, but timing wise, as a result of Covid etc, it's not going to work for us anymore.

Anyone rejected an offer at WUS and then reapplied to Westminster Senior School/6th form later?

BettertoChange Sun 21-Feb-21 12:59:27

elevenplusnightmare

I think we might - it's a tough, tough one, as we've heard amazing things, but timing wise, as a result of Covid etc, it's not going to work for us anymore.

Anyone rejected an offer at WUS and then reapplied to Westminster Senior School/6th form later?

Re-apply Great School at 13+ can only go through the scholarship route. 6th form mainly for girls.

elevenplusnightmare Sun 21-Feb-21 13:04:15

@BettertoChange How competitive is at at 13+??

HappyMamababa Sun 21-Feb-21 13:19:12

I think 13+ Has more places available than 11+? But then once you have applied 11+, u can’t reapply 13+?

BettertoChange Sun 21-Feb-21 13:39:12

HappyMamababa

I think 13+ Has more places available than 11+? But then once you have applied 11+, u can’t reapply 13+?

You can't. The deadline for applying 13+ is roughly the same time as 11+.

elevenplusnightmare Sun 21-Feb-21 15:35:26

So, basically, if you've applied for 11+ and don't take up the offer it's almost impossible later as mainly girls admitted in 6th form, is that correct?

Sonotzenmum Sun 21-Feb-21 15:37:53

Not sure at the moment, just sitting on 2 waitlist positions hoping something moves at this level.

elevenplusnightmare Sun 21-Feb-21 15:58:42

My DS has an offer from WUS 11+ and we're thinking of turning it down for a significantly less academic (but still excellent) school locally.

I'm sure people do turn WUS down but wonder how many do it for something that is way down the schools league.

So difficult....

BettertoChange Sun 21-Feb-21 16:00:54

elevenplusnightmare

So, basically, if you've applied for 11+ and don't take up the offer it's almost impossible later as mainly girls admitted in 6th form, is that correct?

It's possible. 6th does take boys. You should be able to get information from their website.

Talksunderwater Sun 21-Feb-21 16:37:00

@Sonotzenmum the WUS waitlist definitely moves and often right up until the last day. My DS is there and one of his friends from his primary school turned down an 11+ place there on the last day. The boy who got that place was offered it that afternoon.

Sonotzenmum Sun 21-Feb-21 18:32:15

Thanks. Feeling rather let down with 2 waitlist positions. Now have to wait forever as not keen on 3rd and 4th choices.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in