Talk

Advanced search

Could the 11+ exam be delayed again?

(37 Posts)
Sarjest Fri 18-Sep-20 15:09:01

We're back in lockdown and I'm sure other areas will be following shortly. The 11+ has already been postponed once and as far as I know, it has been delayed throughout England. Could it be moved back again? I can't see any other arrangements being acceptable.

OP’s posts: |
steppemum Fri 18-Sep-20 15:12:45

I don't see how they can delay it again.
But I also see it will be difficult to run it.

The only thing is, you can much more easily social distance an exam room than a classroom, as long as people approach the school in a distanced way.

Where are you OP?
Ours is now 17th October, which is still 4 weeks away, so anything might happen!

myworkingtitle Fri 18-Sep-20 15:12:48

It will depend on your region as the 11+ is not a national thing. Trafford had theirs earlier this week I think.

steppemum Fri 18-Sep-20 15:13:26

One option would be to send it out to the schools where kids come from, and do it there. Harder to supervise, but possible

myworkingtitle Fri 18-Sep-20 15:18:25

My mistake, just looked it up and Trafford have delayed it. Last time I looked they hadn’t, a later decision than some I think.

steppemum Fri 18-Sep-20 15:28:29

it isn't a national thing, but loads of areas use the same test supplied by the same people, so loads of areas do have the test on the same day.

In Glos it was Sept 12th, it is now Oct 17th - CEM test

Cookerhood Fri 18-Sep-20 16:02:54

The government advice was to delay, but not everyone followed this I think.

Sarjest Fri 18-Sep-20 16:15:21

It's a month off but I'm concerned they won't allow children from all over to mingle, although sitting apart in room and not speaking hardly constitutes mingling.

OP’s posts: |
Toontown Fri 18-Sep-20 16:16:54

Trafford hasn't had there's yet it's been moved to October the something.

spanieleyes Sat 19-Sep-20 08:05:52

We had our first one yesterday, second one next Friday. Those shielding will be offered a later date.

spanieleyes Sat 19-Sep-20 08:07:11

Just to add, the tests are conducted in the primary schools, rather than the secondary.

meditrina Sat 19-Sep-20 08:19:56

Those shielding will be offered a later date

Shielding is paused, and many formerly shielded DC have been permanently removed from the shielding list. They might need a fallback date (to allow for illness, isolation, other exceptional circumstances) but it still has to be timely

All tests need to be well before the applications deadline falls on 31 October, so that parents can apply with known results.

This has all the makings of a real clusterfuck

AveEldon Sat 19-Sep-20 08:25:03

Our borough test (not quite the 11+) is delayed until Dec
So we have to apply not knowing the results!

GetUpAgain Sat 19-Sep-20 08:26:47

meditrina

*Those shielding will be offered a later date*

Shielding is paused, and many formerly shielded DC have been permanently removed from the shielding list. They might need a fallback date (to allow for illness, isolation, other exceptional circumstances) but it still has to be timely

All tests need to be well before the applications deadline falls on 31 October, so that parents can apply with known results.

This has all the makings of a real clusterfuck

Round here people won't have their results before applying. They just have to guess!

CulturallyAppropriatedName Sat 19-Sep-20 08:28:11

myworkingtitle

It will depend on your region as the 11+ is not a national thing. Trafford had theirs earlier this week I think.

No, it is in October, pushed back a month.

myworkingtitle Sat 19-Sep-20 08:30:50

CulturallyAppropriatedName, yes, I already corrected myself in another post on the thread.

spanieleyes Sat 19-Sep-20 08:48:38

Apologies, I meant isolating when I said shielding!

steppemum Sat 19-Sep-20 11:44:47

spanieleyes

Just to add, the tests are conducted in the primary schools, rather than the secondary.

not everywhere.

In counties like Kent, where pretty much everyone takes it, it is done in primary school.

I counties like Gloucestershire, where you opt in to taking it, it is run on a Saturday at the grammar schools

Sarjest Sat 19-Sep-20 13:45:23

I’m concerned the lockdown is going to get more restrictive. Not everyone takes it in this neck of the woods so it may not be deemed essential. Perhaps they’ll have multiple testing centres dotted around in the area to avoid huge amounts of children rocking up to one school. There have been a few super strict physical mocks round here. Maybe they can run them like that.
My DD just wants it over with.

OP’s posts: |
HelplessProcrastinator Sat 19-Sep-20 15:09:36

Our area the test has moved to November so applications to secondary will need to be made without the results. Tests are sat on Saturdays in the grammar schools as our primaries are not officially involved in the process at all.

steppemum Sat 19-Sep-20 16:42:45

HelplessProcrastinator

Our area the test has moved to November so applications to secondary will need to be made without the results. Tests are sat on Saturdays in the grammar schools as our primaries are not officially involved in the process at all.

In our area it is Oct 17th, but the results won't be in before 31st.

In has lead to an outcry.
Glos schools have 5 options on their form. This allows them to put 3-4 grammars, and then 1-2 others. There are, at most, 5 grammar schools you can go to, so you can almost cover all your options.

But kids travel to Glos grammars from other areas, and thpse areas only have 3 options on their form. After a huge complaint, they have increased that to 4, which helps.
I think, however, that it will be used at appeal.

RueDeWakening Sat 19-Sep-20 22:05:41

In our area it's a 2 stage process, 1st stage is now on November 11th. 2nd stage (if you qualify for it) is on November 28th.

At least we get 6 choices of school to list, and there are only 3 grammars DS1 might qualify for!

Missmidden Sat 19-Sep-20 22:29:43

Concerned about this here too! We are scheduled for the Oct half term which is precisely when they are talking about the 2 week “circuit break” lock down. Obviously this isn’t a priority to anyone in government but a massive stress for those it affects. I was very anti them moving it at all- would be all over and dusted if they’d stuck to the original dates angry

1maid Sat 19-Sep-20 23:42:10

I’m concerned too... we live in Kent... due to take test 13/14 and 17 Oct... heaven knows what position we will be in then... it’s so stressful for parents and of course the poor children.. x

backtoschoolsnot Sun 20-Sep-20 17:16:12

We're now 11th Nov with 2nd stage on 28th Nov - I did read somewhere when it was first postponed that the CAF application will be opened for adjustments after the 2nd stage test. We have 3 grammar + 1 streamed entry school if ds passes and realistically only 1 non-failing school if he doesn't.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in