Talk

Advanced search

Swimming and English reading book

(9 Posts)
Westcoastlover Sat 12-Sep-20 09:01:50

Hi, just two quick questions. I received a vague email last night saying my year 8 child needs to bring their swimming costume in next week. The.schooll uses the public swimming pool nearby. Are other schools taking their pupils swimming at the moment? Also, if any English teacher could please tell me which year groups Notes from a.Small.Island by Bill Bryson is suitable.for, I would be most grateful. Thank you!

OP’s posts: |
MrsHamlet Sat 12-Sep-20 10:37:57

Notes from a small island is brilliant. I've used extracts from it with Y7-13.

Meredusoleil Sat 12-Sep-20 11:25:04

My dd's school normally take the Y7s swimming once a week in the autumn term but have cancelled it for now. Hopefully it's just postponed but I somehow doubt it!

Ellmau Sat 12-Sep-20 11:27:08

I thought this was going to be about DC potentially getting their book wet ;)

Westcoastlover Sat 12-Sep-20 11:35:15

Ha! Yes I can see why😃

KingscoteStaff Sat 12-Sep-20 12:05:58

There was a section from Notes from a Small Island in one of the 11+ exams last year - a section about Liverpool, I think. Several of my Year 6s were actually inspired to read the whole thing!

KingscoteStaff Sat 12-Sep-20 12:06:48

Oh, and DD's school is swimming, but they are lucky enough to have a pool on site.

XFPW Sat 12-Sep-20 12:14:16

No school swimming here - gutting because my DD’s class were scheduled to have their P5 term of swimming after Easter last year so missed that, and are now missing P6 swimming too. DD in 2nd form is also not going swimming with her school.

(I should say that although I’m gutted, I totally agree with the decision.)

As for Bryson - totally suitable for Yr8 - my eldest read it age 10 and middle DD read it at 11. It has so much in it, that as a PP said, it could be used with a wide range of ages.

Westcoastlover Sat 12-Sep-20 14:01:25

Thank you for your replies everyone!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in