Talk

Advanced search

UCL - Camden

(13 Posts)
Verite1 Sun 06-Sep-20 10:44:20

I have heard really mixed views on this school. My main concern is reports about very disruptive behaviour and bullying. Does anyone have children at this school and have any views. Also, has anyone obtained a place vía waiting list. It’s our closest school, but we are still slightly outside of March offer area due to tiny catchment.

OP’s posts: |
Zinnia Fri 11-Sep-20 22:45:16

I can't tell you about the school from a parent perspective but I do know the waiting list moves a fair bit after offer day. Camden admissions should be able to tell you the last distance offered as at 1st September for the last couple of years.

Are there any parents at your DC's primary with older children at UCL you can speak to? Presume you're also looking at Haverstock, or Hampstead (depending where you are)? Both are underrated locally I think.

Verite1 Sun 13-Sep-20 22:52:43

Yes - considering both. I had discounted havetstock but wondering if its on the up. Hampstead has cancelled its open days unfortunately.

Zinnia Mon 14-Sep-20 02:00:29

That's a shame about the Hampstead open days - people are sniffy about it locally but I really liked it, DH saw UCL as well and preferred Hampstead in fact but that was a couple of years ago now. New Head at Hampstead about whom I know nothing but the facilities are still v new, and know lots of kids there who are happy.

Haverstock on the up I believe - there's a thread on it here somewhere. New(ish) Head there has apparently decided to stay having previously planned to move on after a couple of years improving it which is a good sign.

PipaJJ Wed 16-Sep-20 10:57:41

Hi @Verite1

My neighbours DD started at Hampstead two weeks ago - Year 7 and hated it so much she's moved. Sound horrendous ! Got a last minute bursary at Heathside - started this Monday and loves it!

Take care - its a minefield!

Zinnia Wed 16-Sep-20 19:28:26

@PipaJJ not sure it's fair to denigrate a school on a public forum based purely on hearsay when you have no personal experience of it. No school is perfect, but just because you know one child who didn't like the first couple of weeks doesn't mean it's a bad school.

LarkDescending Fri 18-Sep-20 16:01:21

Haverstock has published its plans for morning tours over the next few weeks:

www.haverstock.camden.sch.uk/406/admission-to-year-7-in-2021-1

BananaDaiquiri Sat 19-Sep-20 11:36:36

I don't but this school is also just outside catchment for us. Just wanted to say that apart from what Zinnia mentioned above have you looked at Harris Academy St John's Wood (used to be Quentin Kynaston and had a not so popular rep)? Seems to be on the up and a few kids from our primary choose this last year over Hampstead and Haverstock (not sure if they would have been in or out of UCL on distance).

Verite1 Sat 19-Sep-20 15:19:42

Thanks for that info! Just booked a morning tour. I have considered Harris but no plans for open days yet and I’m loathe to chose a school if I can’t look at it.
@zinnia - you seem very knowledgeable about the local schools. Can I ask where you chose and why?

BananaDaiquiri Sun 20-Sep-20 16:34:58

@Verite1 Have you viewed UCL or is that the morning tour you have booked? We were booked on Friday morning's virtual tour but it was cancelled. I'm not sure you will be able to view anything in person this year. Shocked you can go for a morning tour somewhere as pretty sure schools aren't allowed to bring groups of parents onsite while the kids are on site.
We have a Saturday morning viewing booked for Parli and that's the only school I know of actually doing physical viewing (and they are only doing them when the kids aren't in school). Only two of us are allowed to attend, which is understandable, but in non-covid times myself, DP and DD would all want to go.

ExiledinIslington Sun 20-Sep-20 17:41:25

Acland Burghley are the only school I have seen doing tours in school time but you have to book in advance. Some schools don't appear to have decided what to do yet!

TheEndisCummings Sun 20-Sep-20 21:36:42

Various school are doing small physical tours in Camden. Check out the council transition webpage.

LarkDescending Wed 23-Sep-20 18:58:21

@Verite1 you may have seen that Haverstock have now uploaded their new introductory video: vimeo.com/460631553

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in